Krishna Jeyanthi ,marks the birth of Lord krishna.Its a very big occasion for us to celebrate.Both my Mom and my MIL do elobarate preparations on that day.There will be sweets and snacks preapared to celebrate his birth day.Mom will start preparing murukku,thatta,seedai,payasam and what not...?Memories goes past 20 years back. Our front hall will be decorated as a mandap for the lord.My Paternal grand pa will arrange for bhajans and will serve food for atleast 20 people that day.Our houses will be decorated with balloons,colour papers.There will be rangolis and footprints of lord krishna .Footprints will be printed with rice flour.We are totally 8 to 10 kids in our family.So there will be lots of fun.Totally lost in my memories.Here is a very special sweet ,prepared during this occasion.Paasi paruppu payasam is my H's favourite too.
|Neivedhyam to Krishna !!!|
1.Moong dal / Paasi paruppu - 1/2 cup
2.Jaggery - 3/4 cup
3.Coconut - 1 piece
4.Cahews - 2 tbsp (broken)
5.Cardamom pwdr - 1/4 tsp
6.Ghee - 3 tbsp
7.Milk - 1/2 cup
8.Water - 1 cup or as needed
9.Salt - a pinch
* Wash the moong dal.Powder the jaggery.
* Scrape the coconut into tiny bits.
* Take a cooker ,add a tbsp of ghee , fry the coconut and cashews.Remove from heat and keep it aside.
* Now add ghee again..
* When it is hot,add the moong dal and fry it till it gives out nice aroma.
* Add water and pressure cook for 2 whistles in medium flame.
* When the pressure is released from the cooker,add the powdered jaggery and mix it real good.
|1.Frying the moong dal 2. Pressure cooking it with enough water|
3.CAshews,coconut pieces,cardamom pwdr and jaggery 4.Adding jaggery to the payasam
* When the jaggery is dissolved,add hot milk into the mixture and boil it.
* Add water or milk according to the consistancy we want.
* Now add cardamom pwdr,fried cashews and coconut pieces.
* When the payasam is at right conistancy,turn off the heat and cover it with lid.
* Serve hot with pappad.
* We can also use a1/4 cup of coconut milkat the end to have a creamy payasam.
* We can also melt the jaggery in water and pour it to the dal.
*When the payasam is cooled,it will become thick so adjust the water level according to our consistancy.