Tutti fruity has a very good connect between me. When I was 8 or 9 years old, I used to go and visit the petti shop of our family friend. They had tins and tins of varied coloured fruits. We would happily gobble those tiny little coloured treats. My love continued till date. I love any dessert with these cuties. Till , I was in Dallas, used to buy tutti fruity in Indian stores. But after coming here, I couldn't find these. So I made my mind to make it from scratch. The raw papaya in the grocery store ,grabbed my attention. Made these perfect tutti fruity .Its cost effective too, when we make at home. We can store these cadied fruits for atleast a year in fridge. We have to dry the candied fruit well, if not it will not stay good.Preparation time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 20 mins
Yield : 4 cups
1.Raw papaya - i big
2.Sugar - 31/2 cups
3.Food coloring - yellow,red,orange and green
4.Water - as needed
* Wash and peel the green papaya. Remove the seeds and decore it. Chop them into fine cubes as shown in the picture. The pieces has to be small, for the sugar syrup to penetrate. I got around 4 cups of papaya pieces.
* Take a wide mouthed pan and add water. Bring it to boil. Turn the flame to medium.Now add the chopped papaya and close the lid for about 20 minutes. The papaya should just be blanched. The papaya should be holding its shape, yet it should have cooked. Strain the papaya pieces and keep them on a hand towel.
* Now lets prepare the sugar syrup. Take a pan, add sugar and pour water, so that it covers the sugar. Bring it to boil .
* Now add the blanched papaya and cook it in sugar syrup . till the syrup reaches 1 string consistancy. That is the syrup should turn thick.Take 4 different bowls with 4 different colours.
* Now divide the papaya into four batches and transfer the sugar coated papaya pieces in different bowls.. Mix them to get the colour well. Leave it for atleast 20 minutes or overnight. When the colour is applied on the papaya pieces, drain them well and dry them on paper towel for atleast a day. The papaya pieces ,should be dried completely.It should be like a stone, after drying.
Store the candied papaya pieces in air tight containers. It can be stored in refrigerator or on the counter top. We can add the candied papaya in any kind of cake or dessert.
* The sugar content can be altered according to our taste.
* Papaya should not be cooked till it is mushy.
* The candied papaya should be dried completely, if not the papaya will be spoiled.
* There should not be any moisture in the papaya pieces.
* Store the candied papaya pieces in moisture free containers.