I am wishing my readers,friends and relatives a very " Happy Diwali" .
Somas or Kajjikayulu or Karanji is a very tasty sweet ,prepared during auspicious days .Like Seemandham, Kaadhukuthi etc.Mom used to prepare it for diwali.The crispier outer cover and the sweeter inside gives a divine taste.There are days ,where I would think that its a big process ,but when I tried this recipe,it came out very well.Its easy too.Prepared this for Diwali.
Yield: 25 somas
For the outer cover:
1.All purpose flour / Maida - 2 1/4 cups
2.Rava - 2 tbsp
3.Ghee - 2 tsp
4.Water - as required
5.Oil - for frying
For the filling:
1.Rava / Semolina - 1 cup
2.Shredded coconut - 1/4 cup
3.Cashews - 8 to 10 pieces
4.Sugar - 1 to 1 1/4 cup
5.Cardamom pwdr - a pinch
Preparing the filling:
* Take a pan, dry roast the cashews,rava and coconut one by one.
* Chop the roasted cashews finely,after cooling.
* Once rava,coconut,cashews are cooled,add sugar ,cardamom pwdr and mix it.
* I felt that the sugar is less, so have used 1 1/4 cup instead of 1 cup .But you can use 1 cup of sugar also.Its upto your taste.
Preparing the somas:
* Take a mixing bowl,add maida,ghee and mix it well.
* Now slowly add water and make it into a stiff yet soft dough.
* Pour a tsp of oil over the dough and rest it for half an hour,covered.
* Place t pan of oil and heat it.
* Now divide the dough into small balls.
* Slightly grease the dough with oil and roll it into a thin poori.
* Place the filling in one half of the poori. Slightly wet the edges of the poori and fold it.Seal it tightly.
* Now the fun part is,take a fork and press along the edges of the somas for a nice design.
* Now fry the somas in batches in hot oil.
* Flip it around and cook till the somas becomes golden brown.
* Remove it and strain the oil in a tissue.
* Store it in a air tight container.
* We can also use roasted gram dal pwdr instead of rava.
* Always cover the somas dough ,while preparing the somas.
* Prepare the somas in batches.Roll 2 or 3 somas,fry it and then roll the other somas in this way.