Muslim biriyani are very much adored by all. Their style in preparing biriyanis are awsome.They serve these biriyanis with a unique brinjal curry. I have tried several recipes ,but was not satisfied.This particular recipe fulfilled my thirst of finding that brinjal recipe.My friend Saras prepared this curry at my house one day.From that day on,I am not preparing biriyani without this curry. Whenever I prepare this curry for potluck, it goes away within minutes.The original recipe didnt use jaggery,but I prefer to use it ,as it gives a tangy,sweet taste to the curry.You will also fell in love to this curry immediately.
For the curry:
1.Small eggplants - 8
2.Tamarind extract - 1 cup
3.Sambar pwdr - 1 tsp
4.Turmeric powder - a pinch
5.pepper corns - 1 tsp
6.Oil - 1/4 cup
7.Jaggery - 1 tsp
8.Salt - to taste
9.Curry leaves - few
1.Peanut - 1 tsp
2.Sesame seeds - 1/2 tsp
3.Methi seeds - 1/4 tsp
* Dry roast the peanut,methi and sesame seeds.Grind it into a powder.
* Wash and dry the brinjals.
* Slit the brinjals to have 4 cuts leaving the stems.Dont cut it fully,if not the brinjals will get mashed away.
* Take a pan,add oil and splutter with curry leaves and pepper corns.
* Add the slit brinjals and let it cook covered.
* Add the sambar pwdr,turmeric powder and turn the stove to simmer.
* Let the raw smell of the sambar powder go off.
* Now add the tamarind water and bring it to boil.
* When the curry is thickened ,add the grinded powder to the curry.Adjust salt to taste.
* Add the jaggery to the curry.
* Now turn the stove to simmer and cover the curry.
* Let the curry oozes out oil ,after 10 mins.
* Garnish with cilantro and turn off the stove.
* Serve with biriyani,kushka,pulao.
Chk the recipe for mutton biriyani here
* Adjust the thikness of the curry according to your preference.
* The spice levels an be altered acording to your taste.
* Take care not to mash the brinjals.
* Adding jaggery is purely optional,but I prefer it that way.