Paav buns or dinner rolls , are usally served with bhaji or a mashed vegetable sabzi. Paav bhaji is a very famous street food from Mumbai. My dream come true recipe. The paav was very soft and delicate to touch.Initially, I was not aware of how, big the rolls are going to rise. I used a 8 inch square pan. But after baking it, thought ,I should have used 10 inch pan. Because, the rolls started to rise drastically and overcrowded. Next time, going to use a bigger pan. for the rolls to bake evenly. Enjoy these lovely paavs for your dinner.The rcipe calls for bread flour, if you don't have bread flour, use all purpose flour. But increase the quantity, till your dough is non sticky and pilable. If it is sticky, use some more flour.
Preparation time : 10 mins
Proofing time : 1 hour
Baking time : 30 mins
Cooling time :20 mins
Recipe : Here
- 3 cups Bread flour plus few more for dusting
- 2-1/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1/4 cup lukewarm Water
- 1-1/4 cups milk ( replace 1/4 cups with 1 beaten egg if you prefer)
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Salt
* Take yeast,sugar and water in a bowl .Let it sit for 3 minutes or untill the yeast turns fuming mixture. When your yeast turns into a fuming mixture within 10 minutes, then it is a sign that the yeat is active. Always try to use the yeast,within the expiry date.If not the bread will not rise properly.
* Take a bowl and melt butter with milk. Keep it aside, till it cools a bit.If you want to use egg, we can replace 1/4 cup milk with one egg and use only 1 cup of milk. The egg should be beaten well.
* The dough would have doubled in its volume after 30 minutes. See who is so eager to punch down the dough. Its my younger one ,keen to open the wrap.
* Grease a 10 inch square pan with oil. I used a small 8 inch square pan. At the end I thought that the rolls over flowed the pan. So use a bigger pan for the buns to rise ,without over crowding the pan.
* Roll the dough into small balls .Place them in the pan, with little space between them.(But my pan, didin't have much space, so use a big pan.) The balls should be equal sized, if not they will not rise uniformlly.Cover the pan with cling wrap and place it in a warm place to rise it .It took for me almost 30 minutes, for the rolls to rise ,double the size.Pre heat the oven @350 Degrees .
* The milk and butter should be at room temperature,while we are adding it to the flour.
* We can also replace the bread flour by all purpose flour by 31/2 cups.
* The yeast should be active. If not the rolls will not rise properly.
* Always bake the rolls in lower temperature.
* Divide the rolls into equally sized and wieghed balls.
* Bake them in a pan, which can hold all the rolls,with space.