Phulkas or Rotis are the staple food of North Indians. It slowly found its way into the Southern part of India . It is usually prepared using wheat flour. My mom is a very good phulka maker. She learn it from her Hindi neighbour. Whenever ,she makes the phulka to puff up on direct flame, we will always be amazed. Cooking them on direct flame, makes them puff up and softer. Phulkas are served with dal or any curry. We can either cook the phulka on direct flame or on top of a hot grill, as I have used. These grills ,can be found in any Indian store for $5. Bought this when ,I was in MN. These grills has to be pre heated to red hot, for the phulka to puff up quick.Check my other varieties in rotis.
Preparation time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 10 mins
Serves : 4
1.Wholewheat Flour - 2 cups
2.Water - to knead
3.Salt - as needed
4.Ghee - optional
* Phulkas has to be served when hot.
* Don't leave the phulkas long on the grill, if not they will become hard.
* While kneading the dough, you can add little oil or ghee.
* Always spread ghee or butter ,after the phulka is puffed on the stove.
* Rest the dough for atleast 10 mins for softer phulkas.
* we can also freeze the rotis and cook them when needed.
* These phulkas stay soft, even in the morning.
* If the grill is not red hot, then the phulkas will become hard.