Snow started melting, there is water everywhere. All the streets are dredged with water. Rohith started going to school from Monday. Last weekend, we shopped and explored the city. To my surprise, there are so many shops near our community. There is an "India bazaar " near our location. The prices are not much higher, compared to our shops @ Irving. I know, there is no more our shops. Got a bunch of friends, which passified me a bit. This week is better than last week. Joined Rohith in "Snow skating " class. Rohith is so thrilled to join the class. Last weekend, we went to "Mall of America ", the biggest mall in America. Its a indoor wonder. We didn't have much time to explore the place. Quite happy with the place. So slowly started enjoying the place. Hope to see so many more. This is one more recipe, which I drafted in Irving. Posting this at my hibernating time.
For the vadai:
1.Urad dal - 1 cup
2.Onion - 1/2
3.Green chillies - 1
4.Ginger - 1/2 inch
5.Curry leaves - few
6.Cilantro - few
7.Salt - as required
For the curry:
1.Thick curd - 1 1/2 cup
2.Raw rice - 1/2 tsp
3.Toor dal - 1/2 tsp
4.Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
5.Ginger - 1/4 inch
6.Pepper corns - 1/4 tsp
7.Green chillies - 1
8.Salt - as required
9.Turmeric pwdr - 1/4 tsp
10.Coconut - 2 pieces
0.Oil - 2 tbsp.
1.Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
2.Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
3.Hing - a pinch
4.Curry leaves - few
For Vadai :
* Wash urad dal for 2 to 3 times. Soak it for atleast an hour . Grind it finely, without adding water. But sometimes, we cannot do so, so just sprinkle some water, while grinding. I would like to add ginger and green chilly to the blender, so that my kids cannot find them, while eating.
* Add finely chopped onion,curry leaves,salt and cilantro to the batter and mix it thoroughly.
* Shape the vadais and fry them on a medium flame . Don't cook the vadais till crispy. Let it be bit soft.
* Strain the vadais on a hand towel.
Preparing the curry:
* Soak toor dal,raw rice for atleast 20 minutes. Grind it along with coconut pieces,cumin seeds,ginger, green chillies and pepper corns. The mixture should be fine.
* Take a mixing bowl, add beaten curd, grinded mixture and turmeric powder and mix well. If we want, we can also pulse the curd slightly to give a smooth texture.
* Take another pan, add oil and splutter few mustard seeds, cumin seeds , hing ,curry leaves.
* Now add the vadai directly to the curry and turn the flame to low. After few minutes, turn off the stove and cover the pan with a lid. Leave the pan for atleast 20 minutes. This makes the vadai absorb the curry . While adding the vadai, make sure the curry is hot.
* Don't cook vadai to crispy, then it will not absorb the curry.
* We can also dip the vadai in hot water and squeeze out the water and drop it into the curry.
* The curry should not be too thick, because after adding vadai, the curry will become thick automatically.
* Adjust the spice levels according to your taste.
* We can also prepare vadai using chana dal.
* Always bring the curd to room temperature. Also it should be bit sour.
Linking this to Nalini Suresh's " Tamizhar Samayal Tuesdays"