Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Simili / சிமிலி உருண்டை -Ragi flour Laddoo - Healthy and easy diwali sweets - step by step

 
Simili is a ragi sweet ,where jiggery,peanuts and ragi rotis are blended on a stone grinder (aatukkal) using a ulakkai , traditionally. I have seen my grandma and my mom, used to make this traditional sweet since my childhood. This sweet is rich in iron as it has jiggery and ragi flour. It will taste so yummy. When I went to Tirunelveli for vacation, I bugged my mom to prepare this healthy and traditional sweet for me and my sister. Since we didn't have aattukkal at that new house, she showed me the modern version using mixie. Give this healthy sweet instead of cookies to your kids. Let's start a revolution and teach our kids ,our healthy life style. When we were kids, it will be always fun to watch ,how the sweet is milled on a stone grinder :)
 
Ingredients:
1. Ragi flour           -       2 cups
2.Grated jaggery     -        1 to 11/2 cups
3.Peanuts                -        1 cup
4.Sesame seeds       -        1 tbsp. (roasted)
5.Salt                       -         a pinch
6.Water                    -        as required





Method:
Take ragi flour in a mixing bowl, add salt. Now pour water little by little and form a soft dough. Divide the dough into equal sized balls. We got around 9 medium sized balls. Now take a wet wash cloth or a Ziploc bag. Slowly pat the ragi dough into thin rotis. Do for all the other ragi balls too. Cook the ragi rotis on a tawa , till they are just cooked. Don't over cook ,then it will become crisp. We don't need crispy rotis here.

Cook all the rotis similarly and cool them. Usually, mom used to crush the rotis on a stone grinder ( Aattu kal) . Since ,this new house doen't had one, she showed me using mixie. First she made the rotis into pieces and grinded in the mixie to form crumbles. She did in two batches. When she was grinding the second batch, she added roasted peanuts to it and grinded it also.
Now powder the jiggery ,by giving it a pulse in the mixie. I have added 1 cup of jiggery, but you can increase or decrease according to your tastebuds.Traditionally, in a stone grinder, ragi rotis are crushed first and then roasted peanuts are added and at last jaggery is added to the stone grinder. So all the three will be milled by using a ulakkai on the stone grinder. So everything will be milled and blended well.

Take a mixing bowl, add powdered ragi roti, jiggery ,roasted sesame seeds and powdered peanuts. Mix them very well to blend .We can  also pulse the roasted sesame seeds in a blender and add.Start shaping them into balls. Initially it will be not in a good shape, when they are set, we can shape the balls again ,by giving pressure ,then it will stick to give a good shape.Store them in air tight containers . It will stay fresh for a week.
 


 Linking this to Nalini Suresh's "Tamizhar Tuesday Samayal "
 

23 comments:

Sharans Samayalarai said...

This is new to me.. thanks for sharing, bookmarked it..I have been waiting to try some Ragi recipes..

Unknown said...

wow that a very very delicious ragi sweet :) very new to me :)

Lavanya Raj said...

healthy urundai! yday, me and my friend were discussing on how to make this. i have to try!

it is really good to give to kids than giving cookies!

great-secret-of-life said...

this is new to me.. I am a big fan to Ragi. So bookmarked this

Menaga Sathia said...

Very healthy urundai, i totally forget this authenthic recipe,thxs for sharing..b/w my son is doing good now!!

Shama Nagarajan said...

wow..semma healthy !!!

Lifewithspices said...

wow tats a very authentic one..hv heard abt tis one.. they lok good n very healthy one..

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Very wholesome and fulfilling ragi sweet. I always wait for festival season so as to have these traditional recipes.
Deepa

Torviewtoronto said...

deliciously done healthy snack

Unknown said...

wow this indeed is a process and luv the harwork ....worth it ....cos it's healthy....
"BCAM" - Breast Cancer Awareness Month - FUND Raising EVENT - Oct 1st to Nov 15th
"BCAM" - Breast Cancer Awareness Month -Submit Pink Recipes- Oct 1st to Oct 31st
New Post at Anu's Healthy Kitchen- "HOW TO's? of Kitchen - PUMPKIN PUREE

Priya Suresh said...

My chithi makes beautiful simlis, even during my last trip i had these fantastic balls..Makes me nostalgic Savitha.

R said...

looks so healthy and delicious. nice variation to the traditional sweets.

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Looks so authentic and healthy..recently watched in a T.V show...

Nilu A said...

This is new for me Savitha.. I love raagi and will definitely try this :-)

Unknown said...

The idea of roasting the Ragi roti first and then crushing is similar to Churma from Rajasthan.. But this one-is way healthier than the other. Thanks for sharing this recipe, bookmarked instantly !! :)

சாரதா சமையல் said...

சிமிலி உருண்டை படங்களுடன் விளக்கமும் அருமை.தீபாவளி வாழ்த்துக்கள்.

Vimitha Durai said...

My Mil makes this and we used to have 2 to 3 balls daily. healthy urundai

Unknown said...

this is something new to me and never had it before...

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

very healthy n yummy..cute..

Swathi said...

Delicious healthy ragi balls Love to try it.

Asiya Omar said...

New to me. looks healthy.Happy Diwali.

ELANGOVAN M said...

Hello Nalini Madam, Simili receipe was simply superb. My grandma used to prepare & present generation has totally forgotten.

I replicated the receipe and it came very delicious. Thanks for sharing the receipe.
Keep your good work rolling.

regards
Dr. Elangovan

Unknown said...

Thank you for trying simili Dr.Elangovan - Savitha Ramesh

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...