Under the "Instant Breakfast series", I chose today "Bread Upma". Its one of the easiest upma, I ever made. When we were studying, my sister used to make this upma as an instant tiffin. In this recipe, I have added tomatoes and lemon juice. But if you don't like too much tangyness to the upma, you can skip the lemon juice. Whenever I have leftover bread slices, I will prepare this upma. I prepared this dish ,last year. When I was browsing through my drafts, this recipe caught my attention. Hence the post today.Enjoy the recipes under "Instant Breakfast Series".
Cooking time :10 mins
Serves : 2
1.Bread Slices - 4
2.Onion - 1/2
3.Tomato - 1
4.Green Chillies - 2
5.Chilli powder - 1 tsp
6.Ghee - a tbsp
7.Lemon juice - 1 tsp
8.Salt - to taste
9.Oil - 2 tbsp
10.Curry leaves - few
11.Cilantro - for garnish
12.Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
13.Water - as needed
14.Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
* For a good bread upma, toast the bread slices in ghee. We can also prepare bread upma with plain bread. But toasted bread tastes good. Take a pan, add oil and temper withfennel seeds ,curry leaves, chopped onion and green chillies . Let the onion get roasted well . Now add ginger garlic paste and saute. Add little ginger garlic paste, if not it will dominate the upma.
* Now add chopped tomatoes and sprinkle salt to the pan.Let the tomatoes get mashed well with the onion. Now add chilli powder and saute.Let the raw smell of the chilli powder goes away.Sprinkle little water for the gravy to come together.
* Once the masala is ready, add shredded bread slices to the pan. Toss it well . Let the masala get coated well with the bread slices.Adjust salt to taste. Turn the stove off. t last sprinkle lemon juice for a sour taste .
At last garnish the upma with chopped cilantro .Serve it hot. We can also serve the upma with raita.
* We can add any kind of masala like garam masala, biriyani masala to the upma.
* If you don't like sourness, don't add lemon juice.
* Toasting the bread slices,will give very good taste to the upma.
* If you want dry upma, just skip the addition of tomato.
* We can also add some cooked vegetables to the upma.
* For a healthier option, use wheat bread.