My mom is an expert in preparing medicional valued dishes.The list goes like this, sukku kuzhambu,karuveppilai kuzhambu, milagu kuzhambu .... I will always say no to these curries in my early ages,but as time passes, we come to know the importance of home remedies. Sukku kuzhambu, karuveppilai kuzhambu are prepared at homes to enhance digestion . Milagu kuzhambu is a very good curry ,to increase the appetite in your body. Here the spices are roasted ,grounded finely and added to the curry. Mom prepared this curry,when she came for my delivery. This curry is very good for breastfeeding moms and post surgery patients.Because ,pepper heals the wound gradually. My H enjoyed this curry. Best accompaniment for this curry is sutta appalam .
1.Black pepper - 1 tbsp
2.Red chillies - 4 to 5
3.Toor dal - 1/2 tbsp
4.Coriander seeds - 1/2 tsp
For the curry:
1.Onion - 1/2
2.Garlic pods - 3 to 4
3.Sambar pwdr - 1 tsp
4.Turmeric pwdr - 1/2 tsp
5.Tamarind water - 1/2 cup ( or as needed)
6.Salt - to taste
1.Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
2.Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
3.Methi seeds - 1/4 tsp
4.Curry leaves - a handfull
5.Oil - 2 tbsp
Roasting and grinding:* Take a pan, dry roast the pepper,toor dal,criander seeds and red chillies.
* Cool the mixture completely.
* Grind the spices to a fine powder.
Preparing the curry:* Chop the onion finely.
* Strain the tamarind water and keep it ready.
* Take a pan add oil and splutter with mustard,cumin and methi seeds.
* Add curry leaves,onion and garlic pods.
* Let these cook well.
* When the onion turns translucent,add turmeric powder and sambar powder.
* Let the raw smell goes off.
* Now add the tamarind water and bring it to boil.
* At last ,add the grinded spices to your taste and give it a stir.
* Adjust salt to taste.
* Cover and cook in low heat,till the curry oozes out oil.
* Serve with pappad.
Note:* Add the masala according to your taste.
* We can also add jaggery at the end,but it is purely optional.
* If you dont have sambar powder,just add chilli powder according to your taste.