Basbousa, when I first heared this name,it was quite different and I was laughing about the name. But when we prepared this cake,it tasted awsome.This is a egyptian rava cake. I first saw this recipe in my friend Sho's blog.Got curious about the name ,called her and enquired about the cake. She assured me that this a foolproof cake and would taste heavenly. The proess is bit lengthy,but the pain is worth for the taste.The ingredients are readily available in our pantry.The cake should be baked till golden brown.But I took it off pretty soon.Still it tasted yumelicious..... :) This cake will be a treat for diwali for the kids.
1.Rava / Semolina - 1 1/4 cup (250 gm)
2.Sugar - 3/4 cup (150 gm)
3.Butter - 3/4 cup (100 gm + 50 gm)
4.Coconut - 1/2 cup
5.Yogurt - 1/2 cup
6.Vanilla essence - few drops
7.Baking pwdr - 1 tsp
8.Almond - a handfull
For the syrup:
1.Sugar - 3/4 cup (150 gm)
2.Water - 1/2 cup (125 ml)
3.Lemon juice - 2 tsp
Preparing the cake:
* Pre heat the oven for 350 degrees Farenhiet.
* Take a mixing bowl.add100 gm of butter and melt it in a microwave for 1 minute.
* Cool it ,add rava,coconut,sugar,yogurt,baking powder,vanilla essence.I have used dessicated
coconut,but you can also use freshly grated coconut.
* Mix it with a spatula really well,without any lumps.
* Grease a pan and pour the mixture.
* Tap the pan,so the mixture is spread evenly.
* Make squares using a knife on the batter,not cutting fully.This step ensures us to have a properly cut cake .so dont skip this step.
* Bake it for 15 to 20 minutes.
* Now take the pan out from the oven and spread the remaining butter over the cake.
* Take almonds ,cut into two halves and press in on the squares .
* Bake it again for 10 -15 mins or untill the cake becomes golden brown.
Preparing the syrup:
* Take a bowl,add sugar and add water.
* Bring it to boil for 5 minutes or untill it is sticky.
* Add lemon juice,to stop the process of crystalisation.
* Turn off the heat and cool the syrup.
Once the cake is taken out of the oven,pour the syrup on top of the hot cake. Run through a knife on the cake fully and make the cuts deeper .Let the cake get soaked with the sugar syrup for 2 hours. Slice it enjoy the cake.
* Make sure the cake is baked to golden brown .
* The syrup should be poured over the cake ,when the cake is hot.
* The yogurt has to be freshly made,and it should not be sour.
* If you dont have dessicated coconut,we can use freshly grated coconut.
* Since we have used coconut,its always best to finish within 1 week.
* We can also use raisins or any nuts,instead of using almonds.
* If the cake is not baked till golden brown,there are chances for the cake to beome soggy, when we pour the syrup.