Boondhis are every one's favourite.We can prepare it in two ways,the spicy and the sweet boondhis.I have prepared spicy version .Spicy means " kaaram" in tamil.We used to prepare raita with boondhis .That will be yummy.I wanted to prepare ladoos for this diwali.As a warm up,prepared these boondhis .It came out perfect.The issue in preparing these boondhis will be their shape.A nice boondhi will not have tails.When I prepared boondhis,I got tails for the first batch.So I did the spoon test,which helped me in getting rid of the tails.So prepare these easy boondhis for diwali.
1.Besan flour - 1 cup
2.Rice flour - 1 to 2 tbsp
3.Peanuts - 1/2 cup
4.Garlic - 4 pods
5.Curry leaves - hand full
6.Chilli pwdr - 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
7.Salt - to taste
8.Water - as required
* Measure the besan flour and sieve it well.
* Take a mixing bowl,add besan flour,little salt,little chilli pwdr,rice flour and mix it well.
* I have added 2 tbsp of rice flour,as I like my boondhis to be crispy.So you can add according to your preference.
* Add water little by little to form a bajji batter.
* I blended the batter with my hand blender.This made the batter lump free.
We can check the consistancy ,by touching the batter with the back of the spoon and dropping the batter in the oil.The boondhis will come out with perfect round shape.If you get tails with the boondhis,then add some more flour to get round boondhis.
* Rest the batter for 10 - 20 mins.This will make the besan to ferment a bit,that will give more boondhis.
* Heat a pan of oil ,till it is hot,but not smoking hot.Check the temperature by dropping little batter in the oil,it should rise immediately without changing colour.
* Now take a laddle with holes ( Jalli karandi) ,pour the batter on the perforated laddle .Let the boondhis drop well.We can also tap the laddle to make the boondhis drop.
* After a minute,flip the boondhis to cook the other side.
* When the boondhis are crisp,remove it with a big strainer and place it on a tissue.
* Now take a small pan,add oil and fry the crushed garlic,peanuts,curry leaves,till they are crisp.
* Take a mixing bowl,add the fried boondhis,peanuts,curry leaves,crushed garlic,chilli pwdr,salt and toss it.
* Store in air tight containers.
* Adding crushed garlic will make the boondhi very flavourfull.
* When I prepared boondhis,got tails for 1 batches,then tried this spoon test,at last my boondhis were perfect.Spoon test is very useful to find the consistancy.So don't skip it.
* To make large batches of boondhis,big boondhi laddles are available in Indian stores.So use it to reduce your time.