Coconut rice is one of the rice,where we can prepare it on the go.if we have shredded coconut handy.In India we used to grate it using a special grator for coonut.Its bit time consuming process.So I tried an easy technique to prepare shredded coconut .I just took the coconut pieces and peeled the brown skin .Then gave the coconut a nice pulse in the blender .Now your shredded coconut is ready ,with the same texture as we get using the hand grator .I have peeled the skin using the peeler,as I does'nt like my rice to look brown.If you are going to grind it for paste,then we can skip the peeling step.Rohith loves this rice as it is less spicy.
1Shredded coconut - 1 cup
2.Cooked rice - 2 cups
3.Oil - 2 tbsp
4.Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
5.Broken urad dal - 1/4 tsp
6.Chana dal - 1/2 tsp
7.Red chillies - 5 to6
8.Curry leaves - hand full
9.Salt - to taste
10.Cashews (roasted) - 2 tbsp
* Cook rice with a tsp of oil.This will make the rice non sticky.
* Cool the rice completely
* Take a pan ,add oil splutter with mustard seeds,urad dal,chana dal red chillies and curry leaves.
* When the seasoning is ready,add the shredded coconut and give it a toss.
* Sprinkle salt and mix it.
* When the coconut is sauteed well, add the cooked rice and mix it.
* Adjust salt to taste.
* Garnish with roasted nuts.
* We can also use frozen coconut instead of fresh coconut.
* Dont over cook the rice,as it will make the rice soggy.
* Dont over roast the coconut,as it will change the color of the rice.
sending this to Saras's kithen's "Dish in 30 minutes " event