Wishing all my readers,friends and relatives a very happy Pongal.!!!
Pongal is a harvest festival.Where the freshly produced rice is cooked with jaggery and served as a prasad for the "Sun " God.Usually, in our villages,pongal is cooked out of the house on a earthern pot on a brick stove.Since sugarcane is harvested along with rice,it is also served as prasd to God.I have already posted sweet pongal.This time,wanted to try a new version.So used moong dal along with rice.I have also added coconut pieces to the pongal.This gives a crunch to the pongal.Luckily got some sugar cane for this Pongal.Here,I have cooked rice and dal in a vessel,for time constraint issues,we can also pressure cook it.
1.Raw rice - 1/2 cup
2.Moong dal - 1/4 cup
3.Jaggery - 1/2 cup
4.Milk - 2 cups
5.Cashews - 2 tbsp
6.Raisins - 1 tbsp
7.Coconut pieces - 1 tbsp
8.Cardamom pwdr - a pinch
9. Ghee - 3 tbsp
10.Water - 2 cups
11.Edible camphor - a pinch
12.Salt - a pinch
* Wash the rice and dal well.:Powder the jaggery .
* Take a pan,add water and bring it to boil.Now add rice and dal.
* When the rice and dal are 80% cooked,add hot milk to it.
* Cook the pongal well.It should be mushy.Because,after adding jaggery ,rice will not cook fast.
* When the rice is 90 % cooked,add the jaggery and give it a stir.
* Add salt a pinch,to enhance the sweetness of the pongal.
* Now add the coconut pieces to the pongal.I have also added butter for creamy texture.
* Now fry the raisins till it blows like a balloon.
* Pour the pan with cashews,raisins and ghee into the pongal.
* Finally add cardamom pwdr,edible camphor and turn off the stove.
* While cooking pongal.make sure it doesn't stick to the pan.
* Some times,raisins will become hard,if we fry it for longer time.
* Cook the dal well,if not we can feel the crunchiness .* Tf you want to have more sweet,then can add 1/4 cup more jaggery.
* We can also cook pongal with coconut milk instead of milk.
Dish in 30 minutes - Rice " event