Moong dal laddoo or பாசிப்பருப்பு லட்டு is yet another favourite dish for kutty Krishna.So this is offered as Prasad for Krishna Jeyanthia . MIL is a specialist in preparing this dish. Moong dal is very nutritious ,especially for kids. Taking half cup moong dal is equal to having an egg. So its so much protienacious.So we can give these laddoos for kids without any hesitation. This sweet is my husbands favourite too. My Mil used to say ,that she stopped preparing these laddoos ,after H came to Onsite. So when I went to India she packed me grounded moong dal .She used to mill the dal at the flour mill. I prepared these laddoos ,got hooked to it. So wanted to try at home .So grounded it in my mixie. It gives the same effect as that of milled dal.And here comes the recipe from my MIL. This is a very easy sweet ,we can prepare it in 10 minutes,if we have all the ingredients ready.
1.Paasi paruppu / Moong dal - 1 cup
2.Sugar - 1 cup
3.Ghee - 1/4 cup or as needed
4.Broken cashews - 1 tbsp.
5.Cardamom pwdr - a pinch
* Take moong dal in a heavy bottomed pan. Dry roast it ,till it turns golden brown. As moong dal is so delicate, there are chances for it to go black quickly than any other pulses. So fry it without leaving our hands. When the dal is fried well ,it gives out nice aroma. Take the fried dal in a plate and cool it completely.
* Take sugar in a blender and powder it .Do it in short pulses,if not the jar will become hot and sugar will melt and stick to the sides. In the same jar, add fried and cooled moong dal and powder it. This way, we will not be missing any sugar particles in the jar. We have to grind the dal finely without any lumps.
* If we find that there is any lump, then go ahead and sieve it. Now take a plate,add powdered sugar and moong dal to it. Using our hands mix them well,so that they are well incorporated.
* Chop the broken cashews well. Take a pan, add a tbsp. of ghee ,fry the chopped cashews. Take care not to burn them. Now add cardamom pwdr,fried cashews to the powdered mixture and scald in well.
* Now we can either use home made ghee or we can mix ghee and oil. Since we are giving this for kids, we can use ghee fully. This gives a unique flavor and aroma to the sweet. Take 1/4 cup ghee in a microwave safe bowl and heat it for 90 secs or 2 minutes. If not heat ghee on the stove top.
* Take 1 cup of the grinded mixture on a plate. Now add ghee to the mixture one tbsp, at a time. For me it took about 3 tbsp of ghee, to make the mixture pliable. It depends ,how hot is the ghee. If the ghee is not that hot, then we will need more ghee. Since my ghee was so hot, I used just 3 tbsp of ghee to make it pliable.
* Let the laddoos cool well. Store them in air tight containers. These laddoos can stay fresh for 10 - 15 days .Some will also use milk to make laddoos. But this will reduce the shelf life of the laddoos. Chop the cashews finely ,if not ,we will not be able to make laddoos properly. We can also mix ghee with oil and use it. Same way, we can make pottukadalai laddoos or roasted gram laddoos.