Tarla Dalal , is a cooking icon, who left us few months back. Her recipes are simple, elegant and unique. I started reading her recipes, very recently. Loved all her creations to the core. This was one of the recipes in her cooking site. When I came through this recipe, it pulled my attention immediately and I made it the same evening.
Some days Ramesh will be out for some business meets or casual parties. I used to cook, what my palate calls for that day. It can be a simple "spinach curry" or a pepper rice or simple "dal fry". Isn't it so happy to cook, what our tummy calls for? It was one of those days, where Ramesh went for a casual party with his collegues. I made this tandoori aloo wrap and indulged in its taste. Just made 2 wraps, it was filling for me. The wrap has sharp spicyness from the red chillies , chilled curd dressing gives a moistness to the wrap. It was a completely new taste for me. But worth the effort. We can make the filling and curd dressing day ahead . When we are about to assemble, just cook the rotis and fill the rest of the ingredients.
For the tandoori aloo:
1.Boiled potato - 1 (big)
2.Kashmiri Red chillies - 3
3.Garlic pods - 2
4.Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
5.Kasoori methi - 1/4 tsp
6.Cream - 2 tbsp
7.Salt - as needed
8.Oil - 1 tbsp.
For the roti:
1.Wheat flour - 1/2 cup
2.Salt - as needed
3.Water - as needed
For the curd dressing:
1.Whisked curd - 1/4 cup
2.Chopped garlic - 1 tsp
3.Chopped cilantro - 1 tsp
4.Salt - a pinch
5.Sugar - a pinch
6.Milk - 1 tbsp
7.Cumin powder - 1 tsp
1.Sliced carrots - 1/4 cup
2.Sliced onions - few
Preparing the roti:
* Take a mixing bowl, add flour,salt and mix it well. Add water little by little and from a loose dough.Let it rese for a while.Mean while, boil potato with a little turmeric powder.
* Divide the dough into equal sized balls. Roll it into a thin roti. Now cook the roti on a tawa. Cook till the roti gets bubbles on both the sides. Don't over cook the rotis , then it will become crisp. don't add any oil. Keep it aside.
Preparing the filling:
* Take a blender and grind red chillies with garlic pods.Make it a fine paste. If you want, can sprinkle little water.
* Cut the boiled potato into small cubes. Take a pan, add oil , sauté the potatoes ,for a while.
* Now add the grinded paste to the potato and mix it. Cook till it looses its raw smell.
* When the masala is cooked, add cumin powder and mix it.
* Now add the cream and mix it.
* At last add slat and kasoori methi and blend them with the potatoes.Cool the filling completely.
Curd dressing:* The dressing can be prepared by mixing, whisked curd, chopped garlic,chopped cilantro,cumin powder,sugar ,salt and milk. Mix them well, till it blends.
* Take the rotis and slightlu heat them over a tawa. .Take a plate, place the roti .
* scoop some tandoori aloo and place it on the roti.
* Place some sliced carrots and sliced onions on top. We can also use some sliced cabbage.
* If we don't have cream ,we can just add milk for the aloo.
* sliced cabbage can be replaced with the onions.
* We can make the filling and the dressing on eday ahead. Just cook the roti and assemble the wrap , the day we want.
* I didn't had Kashmiri chillies. So substituted with regular red chillies. If you use Kashmiri chillies, it will give a good red colour.