This month Saranya of "Just not the cakes " space, suggested a variety of goodies to try for Home bakers challenge. I picked granola bars. Because this was in my to do list for so long. I didn't want to miss this time. When I checked the recipe, I saw eggs in it. So I didn't want to add egg to the bars. So searched the web and got this recipe. It is a no bake version. Yes you heard it right. The granola mixture is popped into the fridge and set for about 2 hours. Then it is sliced. This recipe is a hooker and you could not have just one. This is kids friendly too, as it has lot of nuts and dry fruits. I halved the recipe and altered it according to my taste. I was short of almonds and butter. So I replased it with cashews ,peanuts and ghee. Yeah, I used ghee and my house was filled with the aroma of ghee. I am going to bake it regularly in my kitchen. H takes these bars as his break fast too :) If he approves , then its sure a victory for me.
Recipe Source : here
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Setting time : 2 hours
Yields : 10 medium thicknessed bars
1.Instant Oats - 1 1/4 cup
2.Cashews - 2 tbsp
3.Peanuts - 2 tbsp
4.Honey - 3 tbsp
5.Butter - 2 tbsp
6.Brown sugar - 2 tbsp
7.Vanilla essence - 1/2 tsp
8.Salt - 1/4 tsp
9.Dried cranberries - 2 tbsp
10.Chocolate chips - 2 tbsp + 1 tsp
11.Oil - for greasing
* Take a square 8 inch pan and wrap it with aluminium foil. Apply little oil on the foil.
* Now dump in the instant oats and nuts to the pan.Original recipe called for 1/4 cup of almonds.I ran out of almonds.So I have used cashews and peanuts 2 tbsp each. You can replace the nuts with whichever you prefer.
* We can either roast the oats and nuts on a stove top or toss it in the oven @350 degrees Farenhiet for 10 minutes. Mix it now and then. I used my oven to roast the oats and nuts.Now Take a bowl, add butter,honey,brown sugar , salt and mix it.Since I didn't have butter, replaced it with ghee.
* Keep it on a stove and cook till the sugar has melted or when it starts boiling turn off the stove.
* Now dump the roasted oats,nuts chocolate chips ,vanilla and dried cranberries. We can also substitute raisins instead of cranberries. Since the liquid is still warm, the chocolate chips may melt a bit.Don't worry, this will help the bars to become firm.
* Mix with a spatula and dump it into the pan with foil, which was greased again with oil.If we don't grease it again with oil, then our bars will stick to the foil and it will be difficult to take it off. Wet your hands and press the mixture to the pan well. Top it with remaining chocolate chips and press them bit, so that they don't come out.
* Cover the pan with a cling wrap .Refrigerate for atleast 2 hours.Once they are set, take it out of the refirgerator and leave it for 5 minutes.
* We can use rolled oats instead of instant oats . If you are using rolled oats , then reduce the honey to 2 tbsp.
* Don't leave the granola for more than 2 hours, then it will become hard.
* If you are going to toast the oats and nuts on a stove top, then make sure it doesn't change colour.
* Store the bars in air tight containers.
Linking this to Priya Suresh's " Home baker's Challenge"