This month , we are going to post recipes under the "Childhood Memory " theme.We have "Panneer soda" or a rose flavoured aerated drink for today. This is my favourite drink , since I was studying in my elementary. When we were living in "Gudiyatham" , a small town in "Vellore district",there was a small petty shop, near our house. There will be a "thatha", who used to sell these panneer sodas in a small wooden basket, filled with water.Yes it was a very small shop,doens't even has a refrigerator. I am talking about the days of 1991.The soda would cost me 50 paise. That particular shop, gave a initiative to my panneer soda love. The flavour and the punch were the two main reason to hook to it. The panneer soda will be in these kind of bottles. The opening sound of the bottle itself will give a kick for me to drink it. Even now, when I go to India for vacation, panneer soda, karumbu juice,then mittai , will be in my list. Will happily munch on these things, forgetting about the calories.
For the panneer syrup :
1.Sugar - 1/2 cup
2.Water - 1/4 cup
3.Rose essence - 1 tsp or as required
For making paneer soda:
1.Panneer syrup - 2 tbsp or as needed
2.Club soda - 1/2 cup
3.Ice cubes - few
* Take sugar in a cup with water. Mix it thoroughly. Cook on medium flame , till it reaches 1 string consistancy. That is when we drop the syrup, it should stay in the plate like a pearl. When we take the syrup between our thumb and index fingure, it should form a thread.This is the right consistancy.
let the syrup .
* When the syrup has cooled, add the rose syrup to it. The amount of rose syrup can be altered according to our taste.
* When we are about to serve paneer soda, take a glass of ice cubes. Add the syrup according to our taste.
Tasty and flavourfull panneer soda is ready for your guests !!!
* We can prepare the syrup ahead of time and refrigerate it.
* The amount of rose syrup used, depends on how strong we want the flavour.
* Prepare the panneer soda, when we serve it for the guests. Because, if the gas escapes from the glass, then the drink will not taste good.