Kuzhi paniyaram is a savoury doughnut, which is cooked in a specialised pan. This is an authentic breakfast of "Chettinadu Cuisine". Usualy, our normal idli batter is used to prepare the paniyaram. Kuzhi paniyaram goes very well with coconut chutney or red chutney. Bought this pan recenlty, and started preparing paniyarams . We can also make sweet version of paniyarams, by adding jaggery syrup to it.This will be kid's favourite fingure food.
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 25 minutes
Yield : 14
1.Idli batter - 2 cups
2.Onion - 1
3.Green chillies - 3
4.Coconut - 2
5.Curry leaves - few
6.Cilantro - chopped
7.Oil - 2 tbsp.
8.Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
9.urad dal - 1/2 tsp
10.Chana dal - 1 tbsp.
11.Salt - to taste.
* Take a pan, add oil temper with, mustard seeds,urad dal ,chana dal and curry leaves.Now add sliced onion ,green chillies. Saute till it becomes translucent. Sprinkle salt to the onion. Finally add the shredded coconut. Roast it for a minute. Turn off the stove and garnish with chopped cilantro.
* When you see small pores on the surface of the paniyaram, flip the paniyaram using a spoon or a skewer .Cook the paniyaram , well. Drizzle oil over the paniyaram well.
* We can prepare the batter for the paniyaram well ahead and refrigerate it.When we need, we can just thaw the batter and use it.
* The paniyaram pan has to be really hot, if not the batter will stick to the pan and will not come out.
* We can also use coconut pieces, instead of shredded coconut.
* Cook the paniyaram in medium heat flame.