Its been more than 10 days, aince I posted something. Have been busy with long weekend. Also ,my parents are going to visit us , next week. So got myself busy with the preparations. For this month's "Instant breakfast " series, I thought of oats idli ,as it is easy to prepare in no time. I have made a tempering and added to the batter. But you can just cook the idlies ,without any tempering. For these kind of idlies, spicy chutneys will go very well.
Check my other varieties of idlies,
Preparation Time - 10 mins
Cooking time : 10 mins
Yield - 12 idlies
1.Insant Oats - 1 cup
2.Rava - 1/2 cup
3.Yogurt - 1 or 3/4 cup
4.Carrot - 1/2 cup (shredded)
5.Salt - to taste
6.Water - as needed
7.Baking soda - a fat pinch
To temper :
1.Onion - 1/4 (chopped)
2.Green chillies - 3 (chopped)
3.Chana dal - 1/2 tsp
4.Mustard seeds - 1/2 sp
5.Urad dal - 1/4 tsp
6.Beans - 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
7.Oil - 2 tbsp
* Take the oats in a blender. We can either ground the oats as such or roast it and grind it. Pulse the oats to a fine powder.
*Take a pan and heat it . Add oil and splutter with mustard seeds,urad dal and chana dal. I didn't have curry leaves, so skipped it. You can use it , if you have.
* Now add chopped onion, green chillies and saute. Sprinkle little salt to the pan.
* Now add chopped green beans and saute. The beans will take time to cook, so chop it finely. Let the mixture cool for some time.
* Once the mixture is cooled, add it to the mixing bowl. Now add shredded carrots . Mix them well.
* Now dump the beaten yogurt to the mixture and beat. The consistancy should be of idli batter. If you fine the batter is too thick, then we can add some water to thin it. Yogurt gives the required sourness to the idli.
*This is the right consistancy. Now add baking soda. and mix . The bking soda will make the idli fluffy.
Let the idlies ool for some time in the plates. Once cooled, take them out using a spoon and store in a hot pack. Serve these idlies with garlic chutney or onion chutney.
* We can any kind of vegetables to the idli.
* Instead of sauting, we can just dump the vegetables to the batter and cook.
* Instead of baking soda, we can lso use fruit salt.
* Don't skip the addition of yogurt. It acts as a fermenting agent for the idlies.
* We can also roast the oats and powder it ,for a good aroma.