Thursday, December 27, 2012

Drumstick leaves fry - A spicy version from my mom

  Drumstick leaves are rare here in Irving.So whenever I see them.will not forget to put it in my cart.Its bit costly too.But its nutritional values makes it to grab irrespective of the price.Usually I will do kootu with it.Today ,I remembered my mom's fry,so prepared it .She will add ground peanut,garlic and red chillies,which will make the fry unique.Miss u mom :) 
 
Ingredients:
1.Drumstick leaves        -           1 cup
2.Onion                          -           1(chopped)
3.Oil                               -           1 tbsp
4.Mustard seeds              -          1/4 tsp
5.Urad  dal                      -          1/4 tsp
6.curry leaves                 -           few
7.Salt                               -          to taste
 
For grinding:
1.Peanuts        -    1 tbsp
2.Red chillies -    5
3.Garlic cloves - 2
 
 
Method:
* Dry roast the peanuts in a pan and cool it.
* Grind peanuts,garlic cloves and red chillies to coarse pwdr.
* Wash and clean the drumstick leaves.
* Take a pan,add oil and splutter with mustard seeds,urad dal and curry leaves.
* Now add the chopped onion and saute ,till it turns pink.
* Now add the drumstick leaves and toss it.
* When the drumstick leaves are cooked,add the grinded masala on top of the drumstick leaves.
* Give it a toss and adjust salt to taste.
* When the green leaves are cooked,turn off the stove and serve with rice.
 
Note:
Add red chilllies according to your taste.
Dont over cook the drumstick leaves,as it may taste bitter.
Don't cover the pan ,while cooking drumstick leaves as it may change the colour .

26 comments:

Julie said...

very tempting one!!
Join EP event-Garlic OR Turmeric @ Spice n Flavors

great-secret-of-life said...

Peanuts! my favourite as ingredients in this.. must be very tasty
http://great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

Saraswathi Ganeshan said...

You are making me homesick Savi..Theses looks absolutely delicious..

Unknown said...

No comment over this because it's my favorite and looks so delicious...

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

love drumsticks and this is such a healthy and delicious sides.

Sangeetha Nambi said...

Love drumstick leaf in any form...
http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Drumstick leaves fry looks delicious. Healthy too.
Happy to follow you.
Glad, if you stop by mine too

Lifewithspices said...

wow .. love it..it beens ages i had this drumstik leaves..

Shanavi said...

Gladly I get drumstick leaves here..Still am drooling..nice pics

Prathima Rao said...

Never tried drumstick leaves before..This looks like a must try!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Priya Suresh said...

Mom's recipes rocks, even my mom do the same way too.

Suja Manoj said...

Love the spice mix,looks so yum,healthy too

Unknown said...

very healthy fry..

Janani said...

My fa poriyal but I dont get this leaf in ny so miss it. can I dig in???

Swathi said...

My drumstick plant is gone now. may in the summer I can try this. adding peanut is wonderful idea.

Unknown said...

healthy recipe! thanks for sharing this

Home Cooked food said...

I love spicy food, love it.

pepper bowl said...

thanks for landing on my space..glad to follow you... Love your blog!!!

Faseela said...

yummy tempting n healthy 1......Hppy New Year Dear,...Happy 2 follow u 2

Play Angry-Bird Game said...

nice post

Amuthis Kitchen said...

Healthy recipe.Looks tempting.
Happy new year

Jannet Loves to Experiment said...

Hi Savitha..
I miss drumstick leaves here. Have never tried this spicy version. You have a cool collection. I am happy to follow you. Please visit me if you have the time.

MyFoodTreasures

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Very interesting! I love that it reminds you of your mom :)

Unknown said...

Peanut in this is new for me. This looks so tempting and I should try this next time this way.

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

wow very beautiful....well presented n yummy

Asiya Omar said...

Drumstick leaves my favourite..

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...