For the 4 th day of "Instant breakfast Series" , I chose to prepare Dhokla. Its a very easy snck or breakfast.
Dhokla is a very famous Gujarati Snack.It can also be treated as a breakfast,as it is very filling. It is made up of besan flour. Baking soda and baking powder are used to make it rise. But some use fruit salt to make it rise.When I was browisng, this particular video caught my eyes, as the dhoklas were so soft and fluffy.Immediately, I decided to make it as all the ingredients are readily available. In my first try, I forgot to add tuermeric powder and I steamed in a rectangular pan. Since the steamer was not as tight as the idli cooker, the dhoklas too so much time to cook. So for the second try, I prepared the batter with turmeric powder. Also I steamed the dhoklas in a tight idli cooker. It made the dhokla to cook faster. Then I made the tempering. First time ,I poured the tempering on the dhoklas,when it was hot. So dhoklas become soggy. Second time, I poured the tempering ,when the dhoklas were cold. The right time to pour the tempering is ,while serving.
Preparartio time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 20 - 25 mins
Serves : 2
For the dhokla:
- Besan - 1 cup
- salt -1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp
- Water - as needed
- Turmeric powder - a pinch (optional)
- Fresh Coconut - 2 tbsp (to garnish)
- Fresh Cilantro - to garnish
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Green chilli - 1
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Hing - a pinch
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Sugar - 1 tbsp
* Take a bowl,add besan,salt,baking power and baking soda. Mix the dry ingredients well.At last add turmeric powder. I forgot to add it to my dhokla. So I prepared again another batch ,with turmeric powder. When we add turmeric powder, it reacts with the baking soda and gives a orange tint to the dhokla. So you can add tuermeric powder or skip it.
* Grease a bowl with oil. We can use any kind of bowl,which is flat.I used my 6 inch cake pan.Pour the batter to the bowl. Tap the bowl, so the trapped air bubbles get released.
* Take a idli cooker and pour water. Place the dhokla pan inside the idli cooker and steam it for 20 - 25 minutes or untill the tooth pick comes out clean.
* While the dhokla is steaming, lets prepare the tepering. Take a pan, add oil.Temper with mustard seeds,urad dal,cumin seeds and hing.
*When they splutter add curry leaves,and slit green chilli.
* Add water an bring it to boil. At last add sugar . Now we can also add lemon juice .But I skipped that.Turn off the stove and let this syrup cool ,till the dhoklas are steamed.
*After 24 minutes, the dhoklas would have steamed well.You can see the oraange tint, which formed due to the turmeric powder. Let the dhoklas cool inside the pan for 5 minutes.
* Invert a plate on top of the pan and flip the dhokla over to the plate. Let it cool for some time.
* Now cut the dhoklas to your desired shape. See how the dhokla is soft with pores.
* While serving, place the dhokla in a plate. This was my first batch of dhokla,which was made without turmeric powder.It has no tint of orange .
* Pour the tempering over the dhokla.Garnish with fresh coconut and cilantro . Serve with green chutney.
* Always use fresh besan for a better taste.
* If you are going to use turmeric powder, then add little.
* Don't pour the tempering on the dhokla,when it is hot. If not it will become soggy.
* Steam the dhokla in a tight steamer, if not it will not cook properly.
* The sugar can be increased or decreased according to your taste.
* We can skip the coconut ,if you don't like.