I am happy to post my 250 th recipe.I cannot believe myself, that I have posted so many recipes.Blogging world helped me in achieving this.Blogging was my hobby 2 years back,but slowly changed into a passion After seeing my interest in blogging,everyone in my family started helping me in several ways.Now a days,whenever my H goes for shopping,doesn't forget to buy me some props.My son started giving me comments and guidelines in taking pictures and cooking.So my whole family started to be part of blogging :) Doodh peda is my 250 th post.
Doodh Pedas are milk sweets ,traditionally prepared by boiling milk in low flame for hours to get kova.But as time changed ,no one is ready to sit in the kitchen for long .Hence came the techniques of using milk powders and microwave.Say" no no" to sweating out in kitchen for long. But the taste doesnt match to the ones prepared in low flame for hours.Here is one more easy sweet,prepared using milk powder,condensed milk and butter.Yes a delicious sweet made up of just 3 ingredients.Shhhhhh dont tell this secret to anyone.Just make your guest indulge in the taste of this yummy sweet.This time prepared in microwave,will surely post the stove top version soon.I prepared it for my H's milestone in his office.It was a surprise for him.He was happy.
1.Milk Powder (Non fat dry) - 2 cups
2.Condensed milk - 1 can (14 oz)
3.Butter - 1 stick (4 oz)
4.Cardamom pwdr - a pinch
5.Pistachios - 1 tsp (crushed)
30 small pedas out of 1 cup
My 1 cup is equalent to 240 ml.
* Crush the pistas coarsely.
* Take a big microwave safe bowl,add butter and melt it in the microwave for 1 minute.
* Dont boil the butter ,just melt it.
* Now add milk powder,condensed milk and cardamom powder.I have used non fat dry milk powder.
* Mix it with a spatula,without any lumps.
* Microwave it for a minute.
* After 1 minute,take it out and mix it well.
* After microwaving for 3 minutes,the mixture will be non sticky and will resemble like that of a kova.We can see that the kova turns creamy yellow colour.
* Cool it for 5 minutes or untill the mixture is able to handle.
* Grease your hands with some butter.
* Divide the mixture into equal sized balls and press with the fingure in the middle.
* The pedas should be smooth without any cracks.I prepared in 2 batches.When I prepared first time,my pedas got cracks,as it had less moisture,as I reduced the amount of condensed milk.So I added 1 tbsp more of condensed milk.Stick to the measurements and dont reduce the amount of condensed milk,as I did.If not you will not get smooth pedas.
* Place the crushed pistachios in the miidle of the pedas,when it is still warm.So that the pistachios wont come out.
* Cool the pedas and store in air tight containers.
* Microwave settings differ from one another,so cook the kova accordingly.The final kovas should not be sticky.If it is sticky then microwave it for 30 seconds more.It took exactly 3 minutes for my microwave to bring it to kova consistancy.
* I could not take pictures of rolling the pedas as it was warm ,and cannot wait for camera,as there are chances for it to harden.
* If you get cracks,then add condensed milk or plain milk ,to regain the moisture.
* We can garnish with almonds,cashews or any food glitters.Garnishing should be done,when the pedas are warm,if not it will fall off.
* Pedas will be good for 4 to 5 days at room temperature and will be good for one month ,if refrigerated.But before serving,bring it to room temperature.