For this month's Friendship 5 Series, we are going to post "Village Recipes" , for the next 4 days.Dry ginger or sukku, is widely used on those days. My mom used to remember her days, where she enjoyed the best childhood. She used to wander around her acres and acres of paddy fields.There would be plenty of urad dal,bajra, ragi in her house, which were stocked up . She used to say to us about the thick milk, they used to get from the home fed cows.When I was about 6 years old, went to her village and had a glimpse of the village. When I asked her to give some native recipes,for this challenge, spontaneously, gave this recipe.Usually,sukku or dry ginger, is stored in every house, for kids.This curry has a spicy and tangy taste .Dry ginger or sukku, helps us to have a good digestion. This curry is also cooked, when it is raining. Dry ginger, helps us to come over cold .For this curry, sutta appalam goes very well.
To roast and grind :
1.(Sukku) Dry ginger - 1 inch piece
2.Red chillies - 3
3.Pepper corns - 1 tsp
For the Curry:
1.Onion - 1/2
2.Garlic pods - 10
3.Curry leaves - handfull
4.Tamarind extract - 2 cups
5.Chilli powder - 2 tbsp
6.Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
7.Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
8.Salt - to taste
For tempering :
1.Oil - 3 tbsp
2.Sesame oil - 2 tbsp
3.Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
4.Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
5.Methi seeds - 1/2 tsp
* Dry roast whole dry ginger (sukku) ,pepper corns and red chillies. When the dry ginger gives out nice aroma, turn off the stove and cool it. Grind in a mixer finely to a powder. The mixture should not be coarse.
* Mean while, finely chop the onion , peel the garlic pods .If you have, pearl onions, it will give out nice aroma to the curry.Add chilli powder,turmeric powder and coriander powder to the tamarind extract and mix .Adjust salt to the tamarind mix . Take a pan, add oil and heat it. When the oil is hot, splutter with mustard seeds,cumin seeds,curry leaves and methi seeds. Saute the chopped onion and peeled garlic pods. Sprinkle some salt, for the onion to cook fast.
* Now dump the tamarind mixture to the pan. Bring it to boil. when the curry comes to preferred thickness,add the powdered dry ginger mixture to the curry and cook. Now add sesame oil to the curry and cover the pan. Let the curry sit in low flame, till the oil oozes out of the curry.
* Serve the curry, with hot piping rice and pappad. This curry stays good for atleast 3 days, as it has tamarind extract.
* We can also add some grinded coconut paste at the end to give a creamy texture to the curry.
* The amount of red chillies, dry ginger and pepper corns can be altered according to our taste.
* Always use pearl onion ,to give nice aroma and texture to the curry.
* If you want, we can reduce the amount of tamarind and add 1./2 chopped tomato.* Adding sesame oil, adds a medicional touch to the curry.