Kadappa is a very famous side dish for idli dosai or chapathi. This recipe has its origin from "Kumbakonam", besides coffee and brass vessels. My H's aunt is from that surrounding. She prepares very tasty kadappa. When we were newly married, she visited our house once. My H asked to prepare this kadappa, to show me the taste. She prepared this kadappa for chapathi. It was too good. I totally forgot the recipe. Now when I went for vacation,got the recipe from my MIL and noted down. I prepared it ,when returned to Dallas. It tasted too good. Traditionally, kadappa is prepared without adding potatoes. But I added it to make it for rotis. The magic ingredient is "Poppy seeds". This gives out a nice aroma and makes the curry thick. So don't skip this in the curry. Try this kadappa and let me know the feedback.
0.Tomatoes - 1 big or 2 small
1.Boiled Potatoes - 1
2.Onion - 1/2
3.Garlic pods - 2
4.Chilli powder - 1 tsp
5.Turmeric pwdr - 1/4 tsp
6.Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
7.Cinnamon - 1/2 inch
8.Cloves - 2 or 3
9.Curry leaves - few
10.Poppy seeds - 1/2 tsp
11.Salt - to taste
12.Water - as required
13.Oil - 2 tbsp
14.Cilantro - hand full
15.Roasted gram - 1 tbsp. (pottukadalai)
To roast and grind:
1.Ccconut pieces - 3
2.Green chillies - 2
3.Ginger - 1/2 inch
4.Garlic - 1/2
* Take a pan, add water and bring it to boil. When the water comes to boil, dump in the tomatoes. Close the pan with a lid. This will make the tomatoes to peel off its skin. Peel the skin of the tomatoes and puree them well. Soak the poppy seeds with a tbsp. of hot water .Leave it for atleast 10 minutes.
* Take a pan, add little oil, sauté the green chilli, ginger, coconut pieces, garlic pod ,till it is golden brown. Let it cool. Now add all the roasted ingredients with soaked poppy seeds and roasted gram (pottukadalai) to a blender and grind it finely. Add very little water while grinding.
*Take a motor and pestle and crush the fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon coarsely. Now in a pan, add the remaining oil and splutter the crushed whole garam masalas,curry leaves and crushed garlic pod. When they are roasted well, add sliced onion and sauté till it turns golden brown. Sprinkle little salt in between.
* When the onions are cooked, add turmeric powder,chilli powder and give it a stir. Let the raw smell leaves ,now dump the pureed tomato to the pan. Sprinkle little salt and mix.
* When the tomatoes are cooked, add the grinded paste to the pan. Mix it well. Adust salt to taste. Add water to the consistency we need.Kadappa should not be too thick or too thin.My curry was bit thick, as my H loves that way. You adjust it by adding water to the curry. At last add cubed and boiled potato to the curry. Let it cook in medium flame. Finally garnish with cilantro.
Kadappa is served with idli, dosai or chapathi.
* Don't add too much of poppy seeds, then the curry will become too thick.
* Adding potatoes is optional.
* Adjust the spice level according to your taste.
* Poppy seeds gives a unique aroma and thickness to the curry. So don't skip it.
* Tomatoes can be pureed, but kadappa should not have any pieces of uncooked tomatoes, that is the reason, we blanch and puree it.
Linking this to "Nalini Suresh's "Tamizhar Samayal Tuesday"