In India, April, May are the peak months for harvesting mangoes. So we used to get lot of mangoes in the market. Mango sambar, mango pachadi, mango chutney, mango pickle will always be in our home , in these days. I will be waiting for the month , to relish my favourite mangoes.Nothing can beat the mangoes, we used to get from "Salem". My mom makes the best mango pickle. This particular mango pachadi, is my MIL's recipe. She prepares this for "Tamil New Year", every year. The reason behind this, is the coming year should be a mixed of sweet,sour,bitterness i.e a balanced year. The bitterness comes from the neem flower, which is added to the pachadi. I have not added neem flower.Check this simple recipe and try for new year.
* Wash and pat dry the mangoes well. Grate it in the big holes. If we grate the mango very finely, then the mangoes will become mushy.Take a pan, add oil , splutter with mustard seeds and urad dal.
* Slice the onions, slit the green chilly. Add it to the pan and saute till the onion turns translucent. Now dump the grated mango to the pan and saute. Sprinkle little salt and turmeric powder to the mango . When the mango is cooked, add the jaggery . It will melt and make a saucy pachadi. If we want we can add some water and make the pachadi, like a gravy. Adjust salt to taste.
* We can add some dried neem flower at the end.
* Adjust the amount of jaggery according to our taste.
* Grate the mango , into big chunks.
* Adjust the amount of water according to our consistancy.