Methi is a medicional plant, with so many health benefits. It helps to control sugar level in our blood. So try to infuse this leaves in your cooking . Today I tried methi pulao, which is very healthy and flavourfull.I have to bluff to Rohith this is spinach rice. He was happy to have .Ashwath as usual, messed the rice on his plate,with 4 or 5 servings into his tummy. Yes , he is going to be 2 and wants to eat on his own.I am just fiddling along with my new SLR settings. So kindly bear with my pictures. Will surely try to master with the manual mode.
1.Basmati rice - 1 cup
2.Methi leaves - 1 cup or a fistfull
3.Coconut milk - 2 cups
4.Onion - 1 (thinly sliced)
5.Green chillies - 2
6. Cinnamon sticks - 1/2 inch
7.Cloves - 2
8.Brinji leaf - 2
9.Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
10.Oil - 2 tbsp.
11.Ghee - 1 tbsp.
12.Salt - as needed
13.Cilantro leaves - for ganishing
14.Cashews - few
15.Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
16.Garam masama pwdr - 1/4 tsp
*Wash and soak the basmati rice for 20 minutes. Drain the rice over a colander for 20 minutes. Separate the leaves of the methi and wash it thoroughly.Take a bowl, add little salt and mix the methi leaves with it. Leave it for 5 minutes. This way the bitterness of the methi leaves may go.
*Take a pan or a dutch oven like mine. Add ghee and fry the cahsews till golden brown. Take the cashews and keep it aside.
* Add thinly sliced onions and green chillies. Sprinkle salt to the onion to cook fast.
* Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté it well. Make sure don't burn the ginger and garlic paste, then it will taste bitter.
* Once the leaves lost its moisture, add the garam masala pwdr and mix.
* Cover and cook for 15 - 20 minutes. If you are going to use pressure cooker, then cook the rice for a whistle and lower the flame ,keep in dhum for 15 minutes. My dutch oven took 18 minutes to cook the rice. Once the rice is cooked, I turned the flame off and kept the dutch oven unopened. This will help the rice to get separated.
* The rice will look like this, after keeping in dhum. Garnish with fried nuts and chopped cilantro.
* There will be slight bitterness in the rice, which is not that noticeable.
* Adding coconut milk is optional, we can replace it with water also.
* If we want, we can also add some chilli pwdr to the rice.
* We can also add some lemon juice to the rice.