Her comes the second dish I prepared for IFCm given by Manjula of "Desi Fiesta". This is the traditional snack of "Rajasthani " cuisine. The filling can be altered according to our taste. It tastes good, when we serve with sugar syrup. But I have served plain kachoris, without the sugar syrup. This is very apt for our wintery evenings. We can also do a sweet filling.
- 2 cups plain flour (maida)
- 5 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- Cold water - as needed
For The Filling
- 1/4 cup yellow moong dal (split yellow gram) , soaked for 2 hours
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp whole coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric pd
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp dried mango powder / amchur
- 3 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- oil for deep-frying
For the dough (crust):
Combine all the ingredients and knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water. Knead very well for 5 to 7 minutes. The reason for adding cold water is , it helps to get a flaky kachori.
* Divide the dough into equal parts and keep covered under a wet muslin cloth.
For the filling:
* Soak moong dal for atleast 2 hours.
* Grind the soaked moong dal in to a paste.
* The grinded batter. It should have been coarse, since I grinded the batter for halwa too, couldn't do it coarsely. But planned next time to grind coarsely. This way, we can avoid the filling from sticking to the pan. So grind the mixture coarsely always.
* In a pan heat oil add cumin seeds, coriander seeds and fennel seeds .
* After they crackle add the ground moong dal to the pan.
*Now add red chilli pd, turmeric pd , garam masala , amchur pd , salt and mix .
Saute them well till all the moisture in it goes of.
* Garnish with chopped cilantro and keep it aside.
* Now take the divided dough , and firmly press them to form a disc. This disc should not be too thick. Then our kachoris will not cook evenly.Always prepare disc , of medium thickness. In my first batch, I prepared the katchoris , little thick ,which resulted in un cooked katchoris. From second batch, I prepared rolled the dough into thin pooris and stuffed it. This way, it cooks evenly and puffs up.
* Place 1 tablespoon of the filling inside the disc .
* Take a pan of oil, of about 2 inch high. Let it be heated on medium heat. Test the oil, by dropping a pinch of dough. The dough should sit there for a second and come up. This is the right consistency. If not the kachoris will brown quickly, without getting cooked properly. Kachoris should puff up. This indicates that your kachoris are cooked .
* Drop the kachoris one by one. Let them get cooked in medium flame throught. F;ip the kachoris ,once they get browned on one side. Cook the other side ,till it turns golden brown. Once they are cooked well, strain the kachoris on a paper towel.
Serve the kachoris with sweet chutney and green chutney. We can also prepare a sugar syrup and pour it on the kachori, while serving.