This month, IFC was hosted by Manjula Kanted of "Desi fiesta" . She gave us a thali making challenge. It included Rajasthani thali, Sheera platter and Kachori platter. I picked one kachori and one sheera. Moong dal halwa will be very healthy for kids ,as it is rich in protein. So treat your kids with this halwa.
- Moong dal / Split yellow lentil - 1/4 cup
- Ghee/ clarified Butter - 3 tbsp
- Mawa/ Khoa - 3 tbsp. (optional)
- Sugar - 1/2 cup ( adjust to your taste)
- Cashew nuts , almonds , pistachios - few chopped ( For garnish )
- Hot water - 2 to 3 tbsp
* Wash the moong dal well and soak it in water for 2-3 hours.
* Drain the lentils and Finely grind them without adding water to it .
* The batter should be of this consistency.
* Take a pan, add ghee. Let it be hot. Add the grinded moong dal batter to the pan.
* LEt it get cooked in low flame for about to 4 minutes. Keep stirring them.
* When the dal is cooked , add the sugar and mix .
* Now, be carefull with the mixture, as it will start sticking to the pan. Keep the flame on medium, if not the sugar will get caramalised and make the sheera hard. Once the sugar is melted, add hot water to the pan.
* Stir the pan,so that the halwa starts leaving the pan. If you want, add more ghee at this point. Transfer the halwa to a bowl and garnish with chopped nuts. This sheera stays good for 2 to days.