Diwali is a festival of lights. We normally celebrate it by lighting crackers,sharing sweets and worshipping at home. We observe a fast called "Nonbu" on the "No- moon day", which is normally comes after diwali. I have shared so many sweet recipes ,not many savouries. Yes, I have a big sweet tooth. Today I am sharing, one of my MIL's recipe of "Coconut burfi". I used to make burfi, by taking sugar syrup. But if the sugar syrup is not properly taken, then the burfi can go wrong. My Mil taught me this easy recipe, where we mix everything and cook, till the burfi becomes a mass and leaves out of the sides of the pan. Is that cool, to make a burfi, without any hassle ?. Then try this recipe , and you will make it again and again.
From today ,we are going to post recipes under the theme " Diwali " for "Friendship Series". So check this space for traditional and easy diwali recipes.
Preparation time : 15minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Yield : 16
1.Shredded coconut - 1 cup
2.Sugar - 1/2 cup
3.Milk - 1/4 cup
4.Cardamom powder - a pinch
5.Ghee - 3 tbsp
6.Saffron strands -for garnishing
* We can either use frozen coconut. Here , I have used fresh coconut . I have taken 1/2 cup of sugar for 1 cup of coconut. We can also increase, if we want it more sweet. I have used 1/4 cup of milk. Don't increase the amount of milk, if not the burfi will become chewy. I have used 2 tbsp of ghee, to give a good flavour to the burfi. Grease a square pan with little ghee and keep it ready.
* Take a pan, mix coconut ,sugar and milk together. Mix them using a laddle ,without any lumps. Keep the pan on flame and start mixing. If you don't have milk, we can also substitue with water. but not more than 1/4 cup.
* The mixture will start loosing its moisture . Just mix it using a laddle. When the mixture becomes thick, add ghee and cardamom powder. Having a heavy bottomed pan, will work good .
* After 10 to 15 minutes, the mixture would have gathered like this in the picture. It would have started leaving out of the pan too. Now its the right time to transfer this to a plate. Spread the mixture to the greased plate. When it is still warm ,mark lines for us to cut , using a knife.
* When the burfi, becomes hard, cut them in slices . When they are cool, store them in air tight container.
* Always use fresh coconut, to have the best burfi. We can also use dry coconut, this will have less moisture.
* We can increase the sugar to 3/4 cup instead of 1/2 cup.
* Using ghee will give a nice flavour to the burfi.
* We can also add a pinch of yellow food colour to the burfi.
* Burfi has less shelf life, as we have used milk and coconut. We can store the burfi in refrigerator for upto a week.