No festival is completed without this traditional sweet. I used to prepare gulab jamun for rohith. He is an ardant fan of this sweet. I got bored preparing gulab jamuns using ready made mix and ricotta cheese. This time, I prepared gulab jamun using milk powder. This recipe ,I bookmarked at "Kitchen Secrets and Snippets ". blog more than 3 years. It is a fool proof recipe and the jamuns glide into your mouth. Prepare this humble sweet, prepared using milk powder and make your Diwali a special occasion.
Check my other gulab jamuns here
Preparation time : 10minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Soaking time : 30 minutes
Yield : 20 ( mini jamuns )
* Take rava and soak it in a tbsp of water for just 10 minutes. Take a mixing bowl, add milk powder,baking soda,all purpose flour and mix them together. Now add the butter and make a crumbly mixture. Add the soaked rava to the mixing bowl.Now, slowly add milk and form a soft dough. Don't knead the dough to tightly. Now make small balls out of it. The balls should not have any cracks. Cover it with a cloth and let it rest for 5 minutes.
* Now let us prepare the sugar syrup and keep it ready. Take sugar and water in a pan. Let the sugar dissolve well.After 5 minutes, the syrup would be sticky. This is the right consistancy. Now turn off,add rose water and cover the pan. We can also add cardamom powder, instead of rose water.Let the sugar syrup be warm, while we are dropping the fried gulab jamuns into it. If it is chilled, just heat it again.
* Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan. The oil should be medium hot. Slowly drop the jamuns into the oil. Circulate the jamuns in the oil. So that all the sides of the jamuns are bowned evenly. If the oil is too hot, then the jamuns will be uncooked in the middle. Once, the jamuns are cooked, drain them on paper towels.
* Drop the jamuns into the sugar syrup for atleast 30 minutes or more. Serve the melt in mouth jamuns along with vanilla ice cream.
* The dough has to be kneaded softly.
* Let the dough rest for atleast 10 minutes.
* It should not have any cracks. If not the jamuns will disintergrate ,while frying.
* Always cook the jamuns in medium hot oil.
* If the jamuns are not soaked properly, just microwave them along with the syrup for atleast a minute, before serving. This will make the jamnuns absorb syrup to certain extent.
Linking this to "Friendship 5 Series ", started by "Savitha Ramesh" and "Geetha Achal"