Mawa is nothing but reduced content of milk. In olden days, it is prepared by simmering milk for so many hours to get the ball of cream called mawa. In this modern days, no body likes to stay longer in the kitchen. Hence mawa is prepared using milk powder using microwave. It just needs 3 ingredients and 2 minutes to whip up this . Mawa is used in several sweets in Indian Cuisine. Right from gulab jamun, malpua, chandhrakala, surya kala,pedas ,cakes/ The list goes on and on. I saw this recipe in a youtube video. But it used lot of ghee ,so I tweaked to my need, by lessening the amount og ghee and increasing milk. Always use heaped cup of milk powder, if not the mixture will be runny.
Preparation time : 5 mins
Cooking time : 2 minutes
Yield - 100 gm of khoya
1.Full fat milk powder - 1/2 cup ( heaped)
2.Ghee - 2 tbsp
3.Milk - 1/4 cup
* Take milk powder in a microwave safe bowl. The original recipe called for 1/4 cup of ghee, I felt it was too much,so just added 2 tbsp of ghee and increased the milk quantity.
* Now add ghee and mix thoroughly. Slowly add milk little by little and mix, without any lumps.
* Microwave for a minute. Take the bowl out and mix.
* The mixture will look after 1 minute.
* Now microwave for 30 seconds and stir. again microwave for 30 seconds.Now thw khoya would have gathered . We can make a ball out of it. This is the right consistancy. If after 2 minutes too, the mixture is still runny, then microwave it again till you get a mass.
* Cool the khoya or mawa and store it in a zip loc either as a ball or crumble it as shown in the picture. We can store the mawa for upto 3 days in fridge or upto 1 month in freezer.
When needed, just thaw the mawa and mix with sugar and make as stuffing for chandhrakala or suryakala or even for somas.
* Full fat milk powder works best for preparing mawa.
* If we want, we can use 1/4 cup of ghee and 2 tbsp of milk vice versa.
*While using it in sweets, we can either use it as such or add sugar to it.
* Store the mawa in dry place.Savitha Ramesh" and "Geetha Achal"