Today We are running Blogging Marathon #25 started by Srivalli.This week I am running on the "G S N" alphabets theme.So for the alphabet "G" I took gulab jamuns .One more reason for posting jamuns is,today is my birthday.Yes I am celebrating birthday with my twin sister "Kavitha".Happy birthday "Kavi" :)
Gulab jamun is the first sweet,I tried in my early stages of cooking.Believe it or not,it will always be a nightmare for me to get a good shaped jamun.Literally I have acquired a P.HD in making jamuns.I have got all sort of troubles while cooking these simple (?) monsters.Either my jamun will break during frying or it will break during soaking.Whatever the reason is ,it will break.I have thrown batches in to the trash two three times..Though it may look so simple,but getting a good shaped jamuns will be tricky.But after my thesis and studies and experiences,started preparing good shaped jamuns which are soft and dense.Here ,I have listed all the trouble shooting methodologies .So beginners can learn from my findings (Ha ha ha).
1.Sugar - 300 gm / 10 1/2 oz
2.Water - 320 ml / 11 oz
3.Rose water - 1/2 tsp
For the jamuns:
1.Gulab jamun mix - 100 gm / 3.5 oz
2.Milk - 50-60 ml / 1 1/2 - 2 oz
3.Oil - for frying
4.ghee - for greasing
5.Cashews - for garnishing
Take sugar and water in a pan and bring it to boil.Now reduce the flame to sim and keep it for 5 minutes,or untill a sticky syrup is formed.Add the rose water to the syrup.We can also add some lemon juice to stop the syrup from crystalizing.First prepare the syrup and keep it warm,so that the jamuns are fried and added directly into the warm syrup.
Making of Jamuns:
* Take a mixing bowl,add the ready made mix into the bowl.Now slowly add milk and form a soft dough.Don't knead the dough for long,then the jamuns may break while frying.Let it rest for 10 minutes.Cover it with a damp cloth.
* Grease your hands with ghee.Now divide the dough into 20 jamuns.Roll it into smooth jamuns.The jamuns should not have cracks.If not the jamuns will break while frying.
* Heat oil in a wok.When the oil is hot enough,turn the heat to medium low.Now test the oil,by dropping a pinch of dough in the oil.The dough should go down and after a second,it should come up.This is the right temperature.If we are frying the jamuns in high flame,then the jamuns will get cooked partially.That is,the jamuns will turn black quickly,and the inner is not cooked .
* Now slowly drop the jamuns in batches.Fry the jamuns by turning them frequently.If not the jamuns will not have even colour.Don't over crowd the jamuns,while frying.If not they will not cook properly.
* When the jamuns are golden brown in all the sides,drop them directly into the syrup.At this point,syrup should be warm.If the syrup is not warm,heat it again slightly.
* Let the jamuns soak in the syrup for an hour and then serve.After ,an hour ,the jamuns should have absorbed the syrup and look soft and fluffy.If you feel that the jamuns are not soft ,then transfer the jamuns into a microwave safe bowl and heat it for a minute and leave it there.After some time check the jamuns,it should have absorbed the syrup and if we touch it ,it should be soft.If not heat it again ,till you get soft jamuns.Usually soaking the jamuns overnight will work.Always make sure that the syrup should be warm.