For the third day of "Rice cooker " series, I chose to bake a cake. So I chose butter cake from "Joy of baking "site. Butter cakes are dense and fluffy. Rice cooker bakes the cake beautifully,as the oven. I kept the setting to "Brown rice", as the rice cooker cooks slowly in this mode. If you don't have this setting in your rice cooker, just turn it to "Cook" mode. When the rice cooker comes out of cook mode, before the cake is baked, turn it on to "Cook mode" again. While demoudling, my cake fall from the bowl and break. Next time, planning to bake a big cake , so it will not break, while releasing from that hieght. Still the cake was too good.This post is helpfull for those, who doesn't have oven. So nothing can stop you from baking a cake. Try this simple cake.
Baking time : 35 - 40 mins
Recipe Source : Joy of baking
I halved the recipe:
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all-purposeflour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsaltedbutter, at room temperature
1 cup (200 grams) granulated whitesugar
2 largeeggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanillaextract
1/2 cup (120 ml) milk, at room temperature
* Mix flour,baking powder,salt together.Beat butter untill smooth. Add sugar little by little and beat it till sugar incorporates into the butter. It will take about 5 - 10 mins for the sugar to get incorporated into the butter. It is the key in getting well risen and fluffy cakes.
* Now add egg one at a time. Beat it till the batter turns light yellow and fluffy. Add vanilla extract to the batter. Now dump the dry ingredients in 3 additions, altering milk in between in 2 additions. We should start with flour and end with it.
* Grease the rice cooker bowl with oil. Pour the batter and level it using a spoon. Drop the bowl on the counter for 2 to 3 times to release the air bubbles.
* Turn the settings to "Brown rice mode". This is the slowest mode of all. So I preferred that.As cakes has to be cooked slowly. Close the lid and let it cook for almost 35 - 40 mins or untill the skewers come clean. If your rice cooker, doesn't have brown rice mode, then just turn it to cook mode, and if the rice cooker turns to warm mode, just turn it again to cook mode.
* When the cake is cooked, take the bowl out of the rice cooker. Invert it on a wire rack. After few mins, it will get released from the bowl and land on the wire rack. ( Since my batter was little for the huge rice cooker, my cake fall and broke. So carefully unmould the cake) . The cake tasted as soft as the one, we make in oven. Let it cool, cut and serve.
* Always , Cook the cake, till skewers comes out clean. Don't leave the cake unattended. Check for doneness ,every now and then.
* Careful while unmoulding the cake.
* Cream butter and sugar very well, to get a well risen cake.
* Store cake in room temperature upto a week or frozen upto a month.