Rice cooker does magic ,by creating several dishes in one shot. When initially,Geetha and me started thinking about the dishes, we were just blank. When we started exploring the recipes, we were astonished by the n number of dishes we can prepare using rice cooker. when we are travelling , this helps us to prepare dishes without a kitchen. Starting from a soup, curry, biriyani,or even a dessert can be prepared using this gadget. One more advantage about this, is we can just add everything and close it. We can , do our other works.When it is finished,it calls us bu a whistle :P An advantage this series, is I cooked all the dishes, by keeping the rice cooker in my patio. This helped me to get clear pictures ,unlike the ones, which I click in my dark kitchen:( Check this creamy chicken soup and indulge in its taste.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time - 25 - 30 mins
Serves - 2
1.Chicken pieces - 1 cup
2.Carrots - 1/4 cup ( chopped)
3.Broccoli - 1/4 cup
4.Chicken broth - 2 cups
5.Salt - to taste
6.Pepper powder - to taste
7.Minced ginger - 1 tsp
For the white sauce :
1.Butter - 1 tbsp
2. Flour - 2 tbsp
3.Milk - 1/2 cup
4.Corn flour - 2 tsp ( optional)
* Wash and clean the boneless chicken and chop them into small pieces. Similarly chop the carrots and separate the nroccoli florets. Finely mince the ginger. Ginger is added to take the raw smell of the chicken. It should be finely minced, if not we will get small chunks of ginger, while drinking.Add them to the inner bowl of the rice cooker.
* Now add the chicken broth to the rice cooker. This is very much needed to get a tasty soup. If you want tot prepare chicken broth, quickly, add some chicken with bones to the pressure cooker along with water,some chopped onions and carrots. Cook it for 3 whistles, once broth is made, remove the chicken and veges from the broth and use the liquid.But if you don't have, then add plain water .
* Close the lid of the rice cooker and turn it to brown rice setting. If you don't have this model rice cooker, just turn it to cook mode. When the button turns to warm mode, without cooking the chicken, just turn the setting to cook again. In my case, brown rice setting is the slowest mode, so my chicken cooked perfectly.
* While the soup is cooking, we will prepare the shite sauce. Take a pan, add butter. When the butter is melted, add flour and saute it in butter. When the flour is sauteed, add milk and whisk it. It should form a creamy sauce. If the sauce is still thin, add a tsp of corn flour to make it thick. Now keep it aside. (If you don't have any vessel to prepare this white sauce, when you have taken the rice cooker alone, then just saute the chicken and other veges in butter and mix corn flour at the end to prepare a creamy soup.or just skip this white sauce part .)
* Open the lid and check the chicken, if it is cooked well, dump the white sauce to the soup and close the lid. Cook it for 5 more minutes and turn it off. The soup will stay warm inside the rice cooker. At last add salt and pepper and mix.
Serve it with some croutons or fried bread.
* We can add any vegetables to the soup. Like some peas,or potato .
* We can also add some brown rice or wild rice, to give a nutty flavour to ths soup.
* Any kind of seasoning can be added to the soup.
* The chicken should be cut into small pieces, for it to cook fast.
* We can also add some cooked noodles into the soup.