Kerala is a state,which is rich in tradition and culture. Its well known for its natural assets. Coconut is one of the staple in Kerala. They use coconut and coconut oil in most of the dishes. This particular curry is rich , because of coconut milk.This curry is mild and goes very well with idiyappam, appam and roti too.I prepared appam and it was good .Try this different curry for appam, instead of sweetened coconut milk.
Check my Kadalai Curry recipe
Vegetable stew recipe for appam.
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 15 mins
Serves - 4
1.Boiled eggs - 3
2.Onion - 1/2 (chopped)
3.Tomato - 1/2 (chopped)
4.Green chillies - 4 to 5
5.Ginger paste - 1/2 tsp
6.Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
7.Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
8.Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
10.Cilantro - few
11.First coconut milk - 1 cup
12.Second coconut milk - 2 cups
13.Salt - to taste
14.Pepper powder - to taste
1.Oil - 2 tbsp
2.Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
3.Curry leaves- few
* Take a pan , add oil and temper with fennel seeds and curry leaves. Dump the chopped onion, green chillies and saute it , till onion turns translucent. Sprinkle salt to the onion to cook it fast.Now add ginger paste and garlic paste and saute.When the raw smell is removed, add coriander powder and turmeric powder. Saute it till the raw smell of the masala has left.At last add tomatoes and saute, till it turns mushy.
* Coconut milk, which is taken first is thick.After adding water, it becomes diluted. This is called second coconut milk. First add the second coconut milk to the pan and bring it to boil.Adjust salt to taste.After a minute or two, add the thick coconut milk and turn off the stove.Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and pepper powder and cover it.Let it sit for few minutes.
* If you want your curry to be thick, still you don't want this much coconut milk, then use less coconut milk and add few tsp of corn flour diluted in water. This will thicken the curry.
* This curry should be mild, thats the reason, we have skipped red chilli powder.
* We can also add some fresh cream.
* Fresh ginger paste gives a very good aroma, so don't skip it.
* Alter the number of green chillies , according to your taste.