On the fourth day of our "Rice cooker " series, I am going to show you, how to prepare rice puttu using rice cooker. It is easy and simple to make. Rice puttu is a traditional breakfast for Keralites. I still remember the days we spent at "Nagerkoil", ,at our friend's place. Her parents served us these puttu with nendhram pazham and pappadam. It tasted heavenly. There are separate moulds for making puttu. They are called "Kozha puttu", where puttu is cooked like that of a tube. We can make the puttu flour ans store it ahead of time. So we just want to steam it ,when needed. It is a perfect and filling breakfast for kids too.
Check the link for Ragi puttu here
Cooking time : 10 -15 mins
Serves : 2
1.Home made rice flour - 1 cup
2.Shredded coconut - 1/4 cup
3.Sugar - 3 tbsp
4.Cardamom powder - a pinch
5.Water - as needed
6.Salt - to taste
* Make the rice flour,as I have mentioned in the link. Then for the puttu , we can either fry the flour ,till it gives out nice aroma. Or we can just steam the flour in the rice cooker for 5 mins. Usually, I will fry the flour and store it in my fridge for future use. It remains fresh for months. Take flour and salt in a bowl.
* Sprinkle water little by little to form a crumbly flour. Make sure you don't add too much water to the flour.
* At one point of time, the flour should be able to hold its shape. As you see in the picture, we can make a ball out of the flour.
* Again, when we press the flour, it should crumble . This is the right consistancy for the flour to get steamed.
* Readily, pour water to the inner bowl of the rice cooker.Mix the flour and make it lump free. Take a clean cloth , place the flour in it.
* Inturn close the cloth to form a packet and place it on a bowl. Keep the bowl inside the rice cooker, which has water . This pic shows,how I kept it.
*Steam it for atleast 10 minutes or untill, the flour is cooked. I kept the settings of my rice cooker to steam. It turned off every 5 mins, so I turned the setting to steam again for 5 mins.
Mix the puttu with cardamom powder.Rice puttu is ready to serve with some shredded coconut and sugar. Or you can also serve it with some pappad ,banana and kadalai curry. it tasted best ,when served hot.
* Always mix the flour, lump free, if not the puttu will not be good.
* Add less water to the rice flour.
* Every one's rice cooker settings differ from one to another, so steam them accordingly.
* Prepare the flour, fry it ,cool it and store in air tight container and refrigerate. It will stay fresh for months.