Tomato pickle is my favourite among others. My mom used to prepare this in batches always. During March and April, my mom will gear to preapare vadagam,vathal and pickles. These condiments will last for a year and again, when its all over, she will prepare it again for the next year.This is our tradition for almost 3 decades.During our schooling, we used to sit in the terrace and guard these thing from crows.Fond memories. When my sister and I got married, she used to prepare more and send it to us.So whenever I go to India for vacation, I would pack everything and bring it here. This year,since we have moved to sunny state, I wanted to try my hands in preparing my favourite pickle. Noted all the points my mom gave and prepared this wonerfull pickle. This pickle tastes great, a day after it is prepared.
Chekc my Travel time Tomato thokku recipe here
Cooking time : 30 mins
Yield: 500 gm (approx)
1.Tomatoes - 9 ( About 2 lbs)
2. Tamarind - goose berry size
3.Salt - 1 tsp
1.Methi seeds - 1 tsp
2.Hing - a fat pinch
3.Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
4.Sesame oil - 1/2 cup
5.Red chillies - 20
6.Salt - to taste
7.Garlic pods - 20
* Pat dry the tomatoes ,if not it will reduce the shelf life of the pickle.
* We have not used turmeric powder, the colour of the pickle is from the tomatoes.
* We can also grind some garlic and ginger long with tomatoe mixture for a good flavour.
* Instead of marinating the tomatoes with tamarind,we can also grind the tamarind directly along with tomatoes.
* Already the tomatoes are sour so add tamarind according to it. If not the pickle will become too sour.
* If your pickle masala is less spicy, then we can add plain red chilli powder .