For today's valentine special recipes, I have chosen heart shaped vegetable cutlets. This is one of the kid's favourite recipes. I have prepared these clutlets ,several times. But have blogged.When I made these for Rohith's birthday, it was a very big hit among our friends. One of my friend was asking for the recipe,so hence the post. To get crispy vegetable cutlet, all the vegetables has to be cooked moisture free. Alter the amount of masala for the cutlet according to our taste. Try these and make your kids happy :)
Check my other cutlets recipe here..
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 mins
Frying time : 10 mins
Yield : 14 cutlets
1.Potatoes - 2 (big)
2.Carrot - 1
3.Peas - 1/2 cup
4.Corn - 1/2 cup
5.Beans - 1/2 cup
6.Chilli pwdr - 1tsp
7.Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
8.Cashews - 2 tbsp
9.Cilantro - few
10.Bread crumbs - 1 cup
11.Maida - 1/2 cup
12.Water- as needed
13.Oil - For frying
14.Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
15.Salt - to taste
16.Turmeric powder- a pinch
27.Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tsp.
* Wash and boil the potatoes in cooker,with little turmeric powder.Once the potatoes are cooked,take it out of the water immediately.This will stop the potatoes ,from absorbing the water.Peel the potatoes and grate them finely. This way ,the potatoes are mashed well.
* Chop the vegetables finely. Add water to the pressure pan.Steam the vegetables ,by keeping them in a bowl . This way, the vegetables are steamed finely. Don't cook the vegetables in water, if not the nutrients are wasted in the water. Pressure cook the vegetables for atleast 2 whistles.
* Once the vegetables are cooked, take the vegetables in a white cloth. This will make the water content in the vegetables to be absorbed by the cloth.
* Make a pouch with the vegetables and squeeze out the excess water. Keep the strained water and use it, when we make roti dough,soups or in any curries. Because this water has so much nutrients ,so don't waste it.
* Roughly chop the strained vegetables finely.This will help the vegetables to blend with the potatoes.
* Take a pan, add oil temper with cumin seeds. Now add the chopped vegetables to the oil. Now add turmeric powder,chilli powder and garam masala to the vegetables.Let the masala , loose the raw smell. Add ginger garlic paste and saute.At last add salt to the masala.Let the vegetables cool down .
* Take a mixing bowl, add the boiled potatoes,sauteed vegetables,chopped cashews and chopped cilantro.
* Mix the vegetables well and form a soft dough.The dough should be moisture free.
* Divide the dough into equal sized balls. The balls should be equal in size. If the balls are thin,then cutlet will break,while frying.
* Now we can just press them into discs or shape them any shape your cutletlets. But I had a heart shaped cookie cutter,so used to make the cutlet.Place a ball inside the cutlet.
* Press the vegetable balls into heart shaped disc. Press it evenly.
* Similarly, shape the cutlets in this way.
* Take maida in a bowl. Slightly dust the cutlets with maida. In another bowl,add flour and water and form a thin batter out of it.
* Dip the cutlets in the batter. Shake the cutlets to drip the excess batter.
* Now dip the battered cutlets in a bowl of bread crumbs. Before coating with bread crumbs, wipe your hands with a kitchen towel or use the other hand,which is dry.
* Similarly, coat the cutlets in bread crumbs. Leave the cutlets for a while. At this stage, we can store the cutlets in the freezer.Keep the cutlets in a air tight container,with tissues between each layer. When needed, thaw the cutlets and use.
* Heat oil in a pan. Let it be hot, not smoking hot. Drop the cutlets in hot oil. Cook both sides,till it becomes golden brown. Make sure it is browned evenly.
* Once cooked, strain the cutlets on a tissue paper,to take off the excess oil.
Serve the cutlets with some ketchup or ranch !!!
* Potatoes has to be grated finely, to get a good shaped cutlet.
* The vegetables has to be chopped finely.If not ,we will not be able to shape them.
* Remove any kind of moisture from the cutlet, if not it will break,while frying.
* Alter the masala ,according to our taste.
* After shaping,if you feel the cutlets are loose, then refrigerate them for atleast 30 minutes and fry.
* The cutlets can be made ahead and freezed. When we want, just thaw and fry them.
* Try to fry the cutlets in hot oil, if not it may disintergrate.
* To avoid calories,we can shallow fry or even bake them.
* Cutlets, can be served with ketchup.