Green plantain is a varsatile vegetable, which can be converted into different kind of food. Though I have posted plantian fry recipes, this is some what different from the others. My Dad went to "Pudhukottai" for a function. He tasted this at my SIL's home. He was impressed and praised it a lot. So , wanted to try this . Got the recipe from my friend / Cousin Ambika. She gave me the recipe, as a autograph,when I moved out of MSP. Today had some green plantains lying around, so fried these. Actual recipe called for deep frying, but I have shallow fried it .So its upto you, to decide upon shallow frying or deep frying. I have tried both methods and it taste great .
Check my other variations of Green plantain
Cooking time : 20 mins
Serves - 2
1.Green plantain - 2
2.Oil - as needed
1.Onion - 1/4 (If using pearl onions, use 4)
2.Coconut - 2 pieces
3.Garlic cloves - 2
4.Fennel seeds - 1/4 tsp
5.Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
6.Sambar powder - 1tsp
7.Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
8.Salt - to taste
9.Water - as needed
* For perfect plantain fry, use tender plantains.
* The original recipe called for deep frying the green plantain, but I have shallow fried it.
* If you don't want these masala, just grind garlic,fennel and sambar powder and apply. It will give a very good taste to the fry.
* We can also marinate the green plantain for 30 mins, I didnt had time, so just marinated it for 5 mins.
* If you don't want double frying, just apply the masala to the green plantain and fry it one time in oil.
* Adjust the amount of spice ,according to your taste.