This red chilly chutney is a instant chutney, which can be prepared in no time. This is served with idlies and dosais. This is an instant chutney,which can be prepred in no time. I choose this recipe for the "No Cook" series,as it doesn't involve any cooking process. If you want, you can temper this chutney.Alternatively, we can also add red chilli powder,salt and crushed garlic to a bowl. Add salt and sesame oil to your taste.This is my mom's instant chutney powder for idli and dosai.
Check my other idli podi recipes
Preparation time : 10 mins
Serves : 3
1.Red chillies - 8 to 10
2.Garlic pods - 2
3.Tamarind - small gooseberry size
4.Sesame oil - as needed
5.Salt - to taste
6.Water - as needed
* This chutney is very spicy,as we are going to grind raw chillies. So adjust the number of chillies according to your taste. Peel the garlic pods . The addition of tamarind, will some how balance the spiceness of the chutney.
* Pulse the ingredients with salt in a blender. The mixture will be coarse initially. Add water little by little and grind it into a smooth paste.
* It will take few pulses for the mixture to be smooth. Make sure all the ingredients are grinded together.
Take the chutney in a bowl, add plenty of sesame oil and serve. We can store the chutney in the fridge. When needed, just mix with sesame oil and serve. Serve this chutney with idli or dosai.
*Adjust the amount of red chillies according to your taste.
* Don't add too much garlic pods, then the garlic will dominate the flavour .
* If we have excess of this chutney, we can dump it in spicy curries and bring it to boil.
* Adding sesame oil will balance the spicness to the chutney.
* We can also add few pearl onions to the mixture.
* We can also temper with mustard seeds,urad dal ,curry leaves and add it to the chutney.
* Take care ,while grinding this chutney, our hands will become itchy.