From today we are posting our recipes under the theme " No Cook " recipes for "Friendship Series".That is there are no heating elemnt used in these recipes. They are prepared in no time.
Mayonnaise or mayo is a spread,which is used in sandwiches or a dressing in salads. Mayo is made with egg and oil. The egg yolk emulsifies with oil, to turn into a thick spread. The mustard powder acts as a emulsifier too. But I didn't had it , so skipped the mustard powder. We can also put all the ingredients in a blender and blend well. Nut I used my hand whisk to make the mayo. Store this in a clean and dry container in the refriegrator. When needed just scoop and spread the mayo on your sandwiches.Preparation Time : 15 mins
Yields : 1 1/2 cup approx
Source : Alton Brown
1.Egg Yolk - 1
2.Salt - 1/2 tsp
3.Dry mustard - 1/2 tsp (optional )
4.Sugar - 1/2 tsp
5.Lemon Juice - 2 tsp
6.Vinegar - 1 tbsp
7.Olive oil - 1 cup ( 250 ml)
8.Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
* Take a mixing bowl, place the egg yolk into the bowl. The egg should be at room tempeerature. We are going to make mayo with raw eggs. To avoid food poisoning, always use fresh eggs. We can also make mayo using our electric whisk. But I have used hand beater, for a change. You can also put all the ingredients into a blender and blend everything together.
* Take half of lemon juice,salt and vinegar to the bowl. We are going to add the other half of the liquid ,towards the end.
* Whisk for a minute, the mixture will be like this. It will be just frothy.
* After 5 minutes, the mixture would have started to turn pale yellow. the egg yolk mixes with the oil . This process is called emulsification.Add oil little by little. If you pour the entire content initially,then the mixture may curdle. So introduce oil in small proportions.
* Once the mixture has turned into a thick mixture, add the other half amount of the vinegar,salt and lemon juice. Beat it again. From now on, we can add oil like that of a stream. Here after the mayo will not curdle.
* After we dumped the entire amount of oil in a steady stream, the mixture will turn thick and creamy.
* At last, add the pepper powder and mustard powder. I didn't have mustard powder, so I have skipped it. Transfer the mayo to a clean and dry bottle and refrigerate.
Initially, the mayo will look thin. But after refrigerating, it will become thick. Spread the mayo in your sandwishes or add it to your salads.
* For a good mayo, use fresh eggs.
* Always add oil little by little, if not the mixture may curdle.
* We can use a blender or electric whisk to make mayo.
* Always add pepper powder at the end.
* Refrigirate the mayo to last longer.
* Don't over beat the mayo mixture , then it will flatten.