My mom used to prepare smoked brinjal chutney for idli and dosai. Big brinjal is smoked first and mashed, and then it is added to the onion,tomatoe mixture. When I went to India for vacation, asked my mom to prepare this chutney and pictured it. Unfortunately,couldn't take the final picture. So prepared this chutney again today and took the final picture. We can smoke the brinjal in a pre heated oven too. I have tried smoking the brinjal in induction stove too. It smokes great. We can also try to smoke the tomatoes and add it to the chutney, but I have not done that. Instead of green chillies, we can also try to add red chillies.Instead of 2 tomatoes, we can also add 1 tomatoe and little tamarind paste. It will give a sourness to the chutney.
Check my other variation of smoke eggplant chutney here.
Preparation time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 20 mins
Serves : 4
1.Big Eggplant - 1
2.Small onions - 1 cup
3.Green chillies - 5 to 6
4.Tomatoes - 2
5.Water - as needed
6.Cilantro - as needed
7.Salt - to taste
8.Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
To Temper :
1.Oil - 3 tbsp
2.Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
3.Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
4.Curry leaves - few
* Grease the brinjal with oil completely for the brinjal to smoke properly.
* We can also bake the brinjal in pre heated oven .
* Cook the brinjal ,completely, if not it eill not mash well.
* We can use some chopped garlic pods to flavour the chutney.
* Instead of mashing, we can also pulse the smoked brinjal in blender ,to get smooth paste.
* Adjust the green chillies according to your taste.
* Adjust the amount of water,according to youe consistancy.