Mughals were the pioneer in making biriyani.They literally found the recipe for biriyani. When they conquered several countries, their signature recipe of biriyani spread throughout the east.Mughalai chicken biriyani is rich with nuts and spices.Here the spices are freshly ground and added to the chicken. Almonds is the main ingredient in this biriyani.So don't skip that ,while preparing.I got this recipe from the video. But I tweeked it according to my taste.
Check my other biriyani recipes
Recipe Source : here
For the marinade :
1.Red Chillies - 5
2.Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
3.Cadamom - 4
4.Cloves - 4
5.Pepper corns - 1/2 tsp
6.Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
7.Cinnamon - 1/2 inch
8.Cashews - 4 pieces
9.Almonds- 6 pieces
10.Chicken - 1 lb
For the Biriyani :
To Cook Rice :
1.Basmati Rice - 2 cups
2.Bay Leaves - 3
3.Cinnamon - 1/2 inch
5.Oil - 1/2 tsp
6.Salt - 1/2 tsp
7.Fennel Seeds - 1/2 tsp
For the Gravy :
1.Onion - 2 (big)
2. Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tbsp
3.Mint Leaves - 1 cup
4.Cilantro - 1/2 cup
5.Biriyani Masala - 1 tbsp
6.Green Chillies - 2
7.Bay Leaves - 2
8.Cloves - 4
9.Cinnamon - 1/2 inch
10.Fennel Seeds- 1/2 tsp
11.Curd - 1/4 cup
12.Salt -to taste
13.Saffron - a pinch
14.Oil - 1/2 cup
15.Fried onion - hand full
* Dry roast red chillies,coriander seeds,cumin seeds,pepper corns,cloves,cardamom.Soak the cashews and almonds.Soak saffron in warm water or milk. Wash the basmati rice and soak it for atleast 20 mins. Clean the chicken and wash it thoroughly. After soaking, remove the skin of the almonds.
* When the masalas are cooled .Grind the masala and the soaked nuts to a fine paste. Marinate the chicken with this paste.
* The marinade should be refrigerated or kept on the kitchen counter for atleast 10 mins.
* Take a pan, add oil splutter with cloves,cinnamon,bay leaves,cardamom and green chillies.Saute the onion finely till golden brown.
* While the gravy is getting ready,let's prepare the rice. Take a wide pan, add oil ,splutter with cinnamon,cloves,bay leaves and fennel seeds.Now add 10 cups of water or till the pan is filled 3/4 th of its height.
* When the water comes to rolling boil, add the strained rice to the pan. The rice will enlarge in its size .When the rice is 80 % done, turn off the flame. That is when you press the rice, it should break, but ot should not be mushy. This is the right consistancy.
* Strain the cooked rice using a strainer. Let the rice be covered and keep it ready for layering .The rice has to be hot for layering the biriyani.
* Add biriyani masala to the pan and roast it. Now add the marinated chicken to the pan.Let the chicken cook for 5 mins.
* The gravy should ooze out oil. That is the right consistancy for layering. the gravy should have reduced all its moisture. Add whisked curd to the pan and let it cook for a minute.Adjust salt to taste.
Start layering the pan with gravy,cooked rice,saffron milk,chopped cilantro and fried onion.
* Cover the pan with a damp clothe and close it with a lid. The pan should be tightly sealed.Pre heat a oven for 350 degree F.
* Pop the pan and let it be in dhum for atleast 20 mins. We can also keep the pan in dhum on top of the stove. Keep a tawa on top of the stove in low flame. Now in turn keep the pan on the tawa. Let it sit for atleast 20 mins.
* Once the biriyani is cooked, fluff with a fork and serve it with raita.
* Adjust the spices according to your taste.
* we can also marinate the chicken overnight in the refrigerator.
* We have not used tomatoes in the biriyani.
* We can also try to make vegetable biriyani similarly.
* We can garnish the biriyani with fried nuts and raisins.
* The ratio of almonds to cashew has to be higher .
* Always the gravy should have been reduced to half for layering it with the cooked rice.
*If we want, we can add some garam masala to the gravy.