Gobi mattar curry or cauliflower kuruma is a very rich curry, which always served with rotis.The curry is made out of a rich onion - tomato base. I have used coconut and cashew paste to thicken the curry. You can use cream also. We can also use yogurt to give a tartness to the curry .The trick is, the curry should ooze out oil. That will achieved, only if the curry is covered and kept in low flame . This will make the oil to ooze out.
You would be wondering, what am I doing on top a clock. I know , you thinkme crazy. My antique clock fell off and broke. The crazy blogger's mind, didn't want to waste it .So used it as a base for my photography. Enjoy this curry for your rotis : )
Preparation time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 20 mins
Serves - 5
To Roast and Grind:
1.Onion - 1 (big)
2.Tomatoes - 2 (medium)
3.Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tbsp
4.Sambar powder - 2 tbsp
5.Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
6.Oil - to roast
For the Curry :
1.Cauliflower - 2 cups
2.Mattar - 1/2 cup
3.Garlic - 3
4.Oil - 1/4 cup
5.Cinnamon sticks - 1 inch
6.Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
7.Curry leaves - few
8.Cilantro - to garnish
9.Salt - to taste
10.Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
To Grind :
1.Coconut - 3 pieces
2.Cashews - 4
* Wash the cauliflower florets and imemrse them in salty - hot water. Let them sit for alteast 5 mins. This will make the cauliflower get rid off any worms or insects.
* Take a pan, add oil and saute chopped onion. When the onion turns translucent ,add ginger garlic paste.
* Once the onion is sauteed, add sambar powder,turmeric powder and saute . Dont make the sambar powder to turn black.
* Now dump in chopped tomatoes and sprinkle some salt.
* The tomatoes should turn mushy. This is very essential. Turn off the flame and let the masala cool off. Grind the masala into fine paste.Take a mortar and pestle and crush garlic ,cinnamon and fennel .
* Add oil and temper with crushed garlic mixture and curry leaves.
* Dump the blanched cauliflower and saute it for a minute.Cover and cook the cauliflower and let it gets cooked for atleast 2 mins.
* Once cauliflower is cooked, add the grinded masala to the pan. Let the masala , blends with the cauliflower.
* Now add the mattar and toss it with the curry.
* Grind coconut with cashews to a fine paste. Add very little water to the grinded mixture.
*Add garam masala and adjust salt to taste. Cover the pan ,Let the curry sit in low flame for atleast 5 mins. The oil should ooze out. That is the right consisntancy for the curry. Turn off the flame and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Serve with hot rotis or parotta.
* We can add potato or carrot to the curry.
* We can also add cream to the curry to give it a richness.
* We can also reduce the amount of tomatoes and replace it with yogurt.
* Adjust the spice level ,according to your taste.
* Always cook the curry, in low flame at last ,for the curry to ooze out oil.