Rice Kitchadi or arisi upma is a light breakfast or dinner.Its a variation of rava kitchadi.Its a very authentic rural dish ,where my MIL's mother used to do in mud stove, with sticks ignited.The kitchadi will start to cook in the slow flame.This gives an immense taste .My H's fav too.Very delicious dish to try ....
1.Rice - 1 cup
2.Onion - 1
3.G&G paste - 1/2 tbsp
4.Green chellies - 2
5.Cilantro - few springs
1.Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
2.Urad dal - 1 tsp
3.Chana dal - 1 tsp
4.Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
5.Curry leaves - 1 spring
* Wash and dry the rice on a muslin cloth.
* When the rice is half dry, break it in pulse mode in blender.
* Take a pan,add oil , splutter with mustard seeds,cumin seeds,urad dal,chana dal and curry leaves.
* Saute onion ,with green chillies and sprinkle some salt.
* When the onion is translucent, add G&G paste and saute it well.
* When the raw smell, is gone add 2 cups of water and bring it to boil.
* Slowly add the broken rice ,stirring occasionaly.Make sure that there is no lumps formed.
* Turn the stove to medium low and cover it.
* When the kitchadi is cooked well, add 1 tsp of ghee and garnish with cilantro.
Serve it hot with chutney or sambar..
For more Tiffin varieties, go here