Chettinadu is famous for it spices. This biriyani,I learnt from my friend Abi. She is from Karaikudi. Here the masalas are grinded and added to the pan. This gives a nice aroma to the biriyani, I have prepared the biriyani in rice cooker. You can cook it in pressure cooker.This is the second recipe for the "Biriyani series". Stay tuned for other biriyani recipes.Always keep water as 1:1.5 ratio for rice and water.If not the rice will become mushy.
Check my other biriyanis.
To roast and grind:
1.Onion - 1/2
2.Tomato - !/2
3.Green chilli - 1
4.Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
5.Cashews - 4
6.Mint - handfull
7.Cilantro - handfll
8.Cinnamon - 1
11.Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
12.Oil - 1 tbsp
1.Basmati rice - 2 cups
2.Cinnamon sticks - 1 inch
3.Cloves - 3
4.Bay leaves - 3
5.Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
6.Onion - 1/2
7.Boiled eggs - 3
8.Curd - 1/4 cup
9.Green Chillies - 2
10.Biriyani Masala - 1 tbsp
11.Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
12.Water - 3 cups
13.Salt - to taste
14.Cilantro - 1/2 cup
15.Oil - 1/2 cup
* Take a pan add oil, saute cashews,onion,cinnamon,cloves,cardamom,cumin seeds,green chillies, mint leaves,cilantro ,ginger garlic paste and tomato. Saute them ,till it becomes soft.
* Let the mixture cool for some time. Grind it into a paste. Wash the basmati rice and soak it water for 20 mins.
* In the same pan,add oil,splutter cinnamon,cloves ,bay leaves fennel seeds .Saute the onion till it turns brown.Add biriyani masala powder,turmeric powder to the onion mixture. Let the biriyani masala powder saute .Add tomatoes to the pan.
* Add the ginded paste to the pan and saute. At this point, if we want ,we can add curd . .The masala has to ooze out the oil.
*Now add boiled eggs to the pan. Toss it with the masala. Add salt to the pan. Now strain the water out of rice. Saute the rice in the pan. This way the rice will not break while cooking.
* Now transfer the contents to the rice cooker.Now add water to the rice cooker .Sprinkle with cinatro.
*Turn the rice cooker on and let it cook. When the biriyani is done, fluff it with fork and serve with raita.
* We can also cook the biriyani in pressure cooker. Pressure cook the biriyani for 1 whistle and keep in dhum in medium low for 15 mins.
* While sauting the masala , make sure ,it doesnt get burnt.
* Cook the eggs ,in hot water for 10 mins. If not the eggs will become hard.
* Also saute the masala, till it oozes out oil.
* If you feel ,that the water content is less, we can increase the water to 31/2 cups.
* If you don't have biriyani masala, you can use plain chilli powder.I have used Achi biriyani masala.
* Always,let the cloves,cinnamon splutter in oil. If not the biriyani will not be flavourfull.