Elephant yam roast was the first dish, I tasted at my in law's place. It was like fish fry. My MIL will prepare it uniquely. She used to grind the masala in stone grinder and add it to the mariande. That marinade will make the roast so flavoufull. Here in US, we will not be getting fresh yam often. Whwn I shopped at Patel,last week, found this beauty. Since it is rare, it costs too high. One kg yam costed me around $7. It was pretty much high, but for the taste ,we can pay . Planned to prepare masiyal for coming week. Will post you all with the yam recipes soon.
By the way, we are planning for week long "No Cook "series for the month of April. Stay tuned for some unique recipes of "No cook " series.
Cooking Time : 20 mins
Serves - 4
To grind :
1.Ginger - 1/4 inch
2.Garlic pods - 3
3.Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
For the roast :
1.Elephant yam - 1 kg
2.Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
3.Sambar powder - 2 tbsp
4.Tamarind water - 1/2 cup
5.Salt - to taste
6.Water - as needed
* Wash the elephant yam and peel the skin. Chop , it into medium sized pieces. If it is so thin, then it may be become crisp.If it is so thick, then it will not cook evenly.
* Take a pan, add tamarind water and plain water, add little turmeric powder . Bring it to boil. The reason for adding tamarind water, is to get rid of the itchness from the yam. We can either add tamarind water while cooking or while marinating the yam.
* Add the sliced yam into the boiling water . The yam should be cooked 90 %. If it is too much, cooked ,then it will become mushy.
* Once the yam is cooked, strain it from the water . Let it cool for some time. Meanwhile let us prepare the marinade.
* Take a blender, add fennel seeds,ginger and garlic. Grind it to a fine paste. Add little water to the mix and form a paste.
* Take a mixing bowl,add sambar powder,turmeric powder ,salt and the grinded mixture. Mix it well to form a smooth paste. If the paste is thick, we can add little water to form a loose paste.
* Add the cooked yam to the mixing bowl. Apply it evenly to the yam. Now, if we want,we can add little tamarind paste or lemon juice. Let the marinade sit for atleast 10 mins. If we want, we can marinate it overnight. The more you marinate, the more tasty it becomes.
* Take a pan, add oil liberally. Roast the yam till it becomes golden brown. Toast the yam in medium heat. So it will bwon evenly.
Fry the yams ,in batches. Serve it with curd rice ,dal rice or any mixed rice.
* Always use tamarind water ,to cook the yam, if not it will be itchy.
* Adjust the spice level.
* Use little ginger compared to garlic pods.
* The masala has to be grinded finely.
* We can add little lemon juice to the marinade.
* We can cook the yam and freeze it for future use.
* Or else we can marinate it and freeze.
* Adding grinded ginger garlic and fennel paste,will make the yam very aroamtic.