Fish is a very versatile meat,which can absorb any kind of spices into it.In this fish fry, the masalas are grinded and then marinated.At last, while frying, the onion and spices are caramalised and added at the end. This recipe ,was given to me in hand written form by Abi. This was written in a diary and neatly packed by her.This tastes good,if we add lot of red chillies. Or we can also substitute red chillies with chilli powder. We can replace lemon juice with tamarind juice.
Check my other fish recipes
Preparation time : 10 mins
Marinating time : 15 mins
Cooking time : 10 mins
Yield - 10 slices
To grind :
1.Red chillies - 10
2.Pearl onions - 2
3.Garlic pods - 2
4.Coconut - 1 slice
5.Fennel seeds - 1/2 tbsp
6.Tomato - 1/4
7.Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
8.Salt - to taste
9.Water - as needed
For the fish fry:
1.Pomfret fish slices - 10
2.Grinded paste - 1/2 cup
3.Onion - 1/4 cup (thinly sliced)
4.Pepper corns - 1/2 tsp
5.Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
6.Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
7.Lemon juice - 2 tsp
8.Oil - as needed
* Take 10 red chillies,onion,coconut,garlic pods,fennel seeds . Alter the amount of red chillies according to your taste. We can use shredded coconut also.
* Take a blender and grind it into a fine paste.Add water little by little to form a smooth paste.
* Wash the fish slices thoroughly. While washing the fish, apply little turmeric powder and wash, this will take away the smell from the fish. Apply the masala to the fish and keep it aside. Add little lemon juice to the marinade. We can also mariante the fish overnight.
* Take a pan, add oil to the tawa. Sear the fish in medium flame.
* After 5 mins, cover the tawa and cook the fish for 2 more minutes. This will quicken the cooking process.
* Take a mortar and pestle and crush pepper corns,cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Slice the big onion thinly.
* Similarly, cook all the fishes . Once they are cooked, add sliced onion to the pan and sear it along with fish.The onion will caramalise with the fish. Now the flame has to be in sim. If not the fish will turn black.
* Sprinkle the crushed masala powder on top of the fish fry. Let it get coaed with fish well. Once the masala is coated,turn off the stove .By now the onion would have changed colour and caramalized.
Serve the fish with hot steaming dal rice.
* Always use fresh fish for better taste.
* If we want, we can add little chilli powder.
* Adjust the number of red chillies according to your taste.
* Garnishing the fish with onions at the last gives out a beautifull aroma to the fish. So don't skip it.
* We can keep the marinated fish in fridge overnight.
* Instead of lemon juice, we can add little tamarind water .