Banana stem has abundant of fibre in it. It helps our body to get rid of stones.I was always longing for it ,from the day I landed in US. But I didn't get any. After coming to "East Coast", found this vege in the Indian grocery store. No time to think, just grabbed the vege and prepared the kootu according to my mom's recipe. It came out very well. The tricky part here, is the banana stem has lot of unwanted fibre in it. We have to remove them completely. So try to move a stick inside the bowl,where banana stem has kept. The moving motion will help the stick toe remove the fibre from the banana stem. Try toinclude this vegetable, atleast twice a month for our body to get sanitised.
Try my other kootu varieties
Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking time :15 mins
Serves : 4
1.Banana Stem - 2 cups (chopped)
2.Moong dal - 1 cup
3.Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
4.Sambar powder - 1 tsp
5.Cilantro - to garmish
6.Water - as needed
To temper :
1.Onion - 1/2 chopped
3.Green chillies - 2
4.Garlic pods - 3 (optional)
5.Oil - 2 tsp
6.Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
7.Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
8.Salt - to taste
* Wash and peel off the outer skin of the stem. We are left with edible stem of the banana. This banana stem has more unwanted fibre. So try to remove the fibre, if not it will not cook properly.While chopping the banana stem, try to remove the black parts.
* Chop the stem finely. Drop them immediately into the water , if not it will change colour. Take a skewers or a stick and move it, around the bowl . When we lift the stick, the fibre would have stick to the stick. Continue this step, till all the unwanted fibre is removed from the banana stem. Always ,do this step ,for the banana stem to cook properly.
* Wash the moong dal. Add little turmeric powder and cook for 2 whistles in medium flame. The dal should have cooked 80 % ,not completely.
* Once the dal is cooked, remove the lid and add the chopped banana stem to the pan and let it cook.
* Now add sambar powder to the pan and cook till, the banana stem is cooked completely. The sambar powder should loose its raw smell.
* While the banana stem is cooking, take another pan and add oil. Temper with mustard seeds,cumin seeds and chopped onion and green chillies. Sprinkle little salt to the pan. Let the onion turns translucent.
* Now add chopped tomato to the pan and cook. The tomato should loose its texture.
* Bow add the cooked tempering to the pressure cooker and mix.Adjust salt to the pan and cover. Turn the flame to low.
After 5 mins, turn off the flame and garnish with chopped cilantro.Serve with hot piping rice.
* At the end, we can also add grinded coconut pate for a richer curry.
* My mom used to add just green chillies. But I have added both. So use the mode of spices according to your taste.
* Try to remove the unwanted fibre from the banana stem, if not it will not cook properly.
* We can also prepare this kootu using chana dal or toor dal.
* Kootu goes well as such with white rice or as an accompaniment with kara kuzhambu.